Please Remember to Vote!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Please Remember to Vote!

(http://changeisonus.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/your-vote-counts.jpg)

As all of you should know, 2016 is a presidential election year! Historically people who are our age, the youngest voting bracket, are the least likely to exercise their right to vote in election years. This means that among our peers there are quite a few who forget to fill out their ballot or simply don’t care enough to do so. Many of us think that our vote simply “doesn’t count” or that we have no incentive to participate in our democratic system. However, voting is one of the most important things you can do as a member of our nation. The right to vote and choose our leaders is an amazing right that many people in the world do not possess and we are lucky to live in a nation that encourages popular participation among its citizens. So please, remember to vote in the presidential primary, the state primary in August and the general election in November. You may not think your vote counts but it really does and plus it’s pretty great that your voice can help pick a leader. And when you vote please read up on the candidates and decide who is right for your interests and concerns. Don’t just vote because someone does (or doesn’t) have a D or an R next to their name. If you do your reading you might find you like a Democrat for one position and a Republican for another, it’s just important to know who you’re voting for! So look for your ballots in the mail and read through that handy pamphlet on who’s who and let’s make this year one where many young Americans exercise their rights and vote. Who knows, we could really change how this election cycle goes!