Personality Tests: How can they Help you Succeed?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

By answering a series of questions personality tests can help you get to know a person, or even gain a broader understanding of yourself. Many times, these questions can dig down deep and make you raise your self awareness. Due to my own successful experience with personality tests I thought I’d share how personality tests can help you succeed in multiple facets.

In College

The most annoying thing about school for me has always been group projects. It’s so hard for everyone to collaborate on a class project when everyone has such different methods for working. Taking a personality test early on in the year will help encounter questions that you can ask your members about their work style. Additionally, it may help you figure out how you can best complete the work you are given.

For example, I know that I am very detailed orientated and need things to be organized. This means that when a group project is assigned, I need to make a spreadsheet with each person’s duties and due dates. Additionally, I know that I need reminders before deadlines, so an alarm on my phone the day before it’s due is always super helpful. Lastly, my personality test also reminded me that I like to be the one doing everything so I am confident it is done correctly. In my last project, I kept myself aware of this fact by taking on tasks that I knew I could do best.

At An Internship/Job

My senior year of high school, I interned for a large and prestigious corporation. Here, I was introduced to color personalities. In my first couple weeks, I took a personality test that told me I was a Green, or someone who loves to be organized, is crazy about details, and loves listen and then talk. Everyone at the internship would display their colors ranked in the order of how accurately they described their personalities. My manager had her colors displayed as lego blocks, with yellow on top, then red, then blue then green. It made it so much easier to know how to approach anyone you worked with at meetings. If I ever needed something from my manager, I would always ask her how her day was going and what her weekend was like before diving into what I needed, like I would for a red personality type.

The colors helped me bond with coworkers as well. It was easier to connect with people of the same personality type, and we all enjoyed talking about the color personality test.

In A Relationship

I feel like almost every breakup I’ve ever had, has been because of a misinterpretation of communication or even lack of it. I would rank communication   as one of the most important things needed to have a successful relationship. Early on, if both partners are able to realize what personalities are present, life becomes much easier. Using the personality “color analysis”, if I’m a Yellow, aka someone who thrives off social interactions and loves to talk and express my feelings, and my boyfriend is a Blue, meaning he can only deal with people for an extended amount of time before needing his own space, I’d know that seeing him every day of the week is probably not a good idea. Personality tests are often a useful resource when it comes to analyzing and interpreting yourself and others.

Jordyn is a history major, nanny and creative writing enthusiast. She spends her free time frolicking through fields of daisies, consuming copious amounts of iced mochas and blogging for her personal blog The Fairy Princess Diaries.