This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Dear Night Sky,

Personally, I’m not a huge fan of you because you bring darkness at the end of each day, but I always appreciate that you let me talk to my favorite people who are now your fellows: the stars.

My grandpa, Jiji, once told me that he was going to be one of them soon. That was when I was two years old. It is the very first memory of my life. About a week or so later, he suddenly passed away for a seizure. His funeral is the second memory of my life. When I was little, I did not know why Jiji was not around anymore. I thought I could see him sometime soon again. I did not know why other kids could hang out with their grandpas, but not me. The Christmas present that I wished for was to see him even just for 5 minutes. I did not know why he even didn’t say goodbye.

But one day, I finally found a way to talk to him. My mom was looking up the night sky and pointed the brightest star. 

She said, “look at that! Your grandpa is there watching over us.” I was six years old. Soon after, I started to learn the vulnerableness of human and the shortness of life. Talking to the brightest star in you, the night sky, became a habit of mine. It was a simple conversation but very meaningful to me…”Jiji, how are you doing today?” “Did you see me dancing well today?”

I’m writing this letter today, because a great friend of mine now joined your fellowship. She was a sweetest young lady with full of potential in the future. She always had the charming smile that brought happiness to everyone. But this world was too harsh for her to keep having hope, and she saw the better in you. Seeing the reality of life is not the best thing, but then I can see the value of living every day: and when I see you, I can talk to my favorite people.

Please take care of my lovely friend and let her shine as bright as Grandpa Jiji. Cheer me to stay strong. Lead me when I’m wrong. And watch me live long.

For the memory of M. You were and will always be a best friend of mine. 

With my heart,  

Kao