jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Music and a Movie: 80s Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In celebration of the new trailer for this summer’s Ghostbusters remake, here are 5 great songs and one movie perfect for kicking off an 80s marathon.

Fingers crossed that the new Ghostbusters (starring Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Chris Hemsworth) is just as good as the old one!

(Sony Pictures Entertainment)

Music

Sweet Dreams – Eurythmics

If you’re looking for a perfect karaoke song, this may just be it. Plus, who doesn’t love a music video that features random farm animals and bright orange hair? This is about as 80s as it gets.

(Eurythmics)

Eye of the Tiger- Survivor

Everyone’s favorite pre-workout song is a classic staple of the 80s. Best way to listen to it? Put it on and imagine a Karate Kid style montage of your life. You can’t go wrong with montages.

(Survivor)

I Love Rock n’ Roll – Joan Jett & the Blackhearts

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts are some of the coolest women in rock and roll. While they weren’t the first to play this high energy anthem, they certainly did a lot to make it famous. Catchy lyrics that are simple enough to figure out as you go are what make this song so well loved, even to today.

(GranPa Susurros)

Separate Ways – Journey

People always forget that Journey made songs other than the classic “Don’t Stop Believin’”. Well they certainly did, and listening to “Separate Ways” is a great way to get into the rest of their stuff. Plus the music video serves to remind you just how much better hairdos have gotten over the years.

(Journey)

Girls Just Want to Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper

And of course, the most cliché song of the decade has to be included. Clichés are cliché are for a reason, and no one can speak the truth quite like Cyndi Lauper. Who else can pull off those outfits? Spoiler: no one.

(Cyndi Lauper)

And a Movie

The Goonies

If you like Ghostbusters, you’re going to love The Goonies. In case you have yet to experience the joy of seeing it, here’s a brief summary: when one of their friends is threatened to be kicked out of his house, a group of kids go on an adventure involving a treasure map, pirate ship, and a gentle giant.  It’s what everyone whishes their childhood was like.

(Liberty Tyler)

These are just a few of the great things that came out of the 80s. Hopefully this inspires you check out all the other cheesy songs, haircuts, and movies that made the decade so much fun to look back on. In celebration of the new trailer for this summer’s Ghostbusters remake, here are 5 great songs and one movie perfect for kicking off an 80s marathon.

San Francisco native studying at the Univerisity of Washington, Seattle. Kathryn's goal is to major in Psychology, but she hopes to take lots of history and english classes along the way. In her free time she loves reading, watching TV, and daydreaming about writing a book someday.