danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How To Ace Your Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The goal of every interviewer is to determine three things about you based upon your interview: firstly, do you have the skills for this position or can you learn them? Secondly, are you a good fit for their department? Lastly, would you be a good colleague? In order to convince your interviewer that you’ve got not only the skills, but also the disposition and social skills for the job, you have to be prepared for both the verbal and non-verbal communication that takes place in an interview.

Non-Verbal Communication

It’s the little things, from eye contact and body language to timeliness and state of dress, that really determine an interviewer’s first impression of you. Having direct eye contact and good posture, giving a firm handshake, and speaking at a clear voice level conveys professionalism and confidence, as well as attentiveness and active listening skills—valuable traits that all employers look for in prospective hires. Additionally, dressing appropriately (usually business casual) and being on time are hugely important, as this shows that you truly care about the position and making a good impression. Looking sloppy and being late for your interview, regardless of the reason, makes you appear careless and unprofessional, and thus less likely to be a good colleague.

Finally, it is important to remember to not to let your nerves get the best of you. Nervous fidgeting and rambling can be incredibly distracting and may preclude you from presenting your best self to an interviewer. Of course, being nervous in an interview is normal and can indicate authenticity of character, but you must remember to have confidence in yourself and your qualifications in order to be able to promote yourself effectively to possible employers. Keep your hands relaxed in your lap, maintain an appropriate amount of eye contact when both listening and speaking, and don’t be afraid to pause for a moment to gather your thoughts before answering a question. Pausing for a moment before answering a question actually shows that you are a thoughtful individual and allows you time to give a far more eloquent and meaningful response. People often make the mistake of answering too quickly, opening their mouths before giving their brains a chance to really process the question and think of a good reply. Thus, they often ramble and do not answer the question fully, if they address the question at all. Stay calm and remain confident.

Verbal Communication

One of the most common statements people hear in an interview is, “So, tell me about yourself.”

What the interviewer is really asking for with that statement is for you to give an elevator pitch. An elevator pitch is basically a minute-long sales pitch in which you pitch yourself to your interviewer instead of pitching a product or service. This pitch should generally outline your education and/or special skills, your accomplishments and experiences, your career and education goals, and how they all relate to the position you’re interviewing for. It is extremely important for the interviewer to get a better sense of who you are as a person to be able to determine your skill set and potential to fit in with their department.

People also commonly hear in an interview, “Why do you want this position?” Interviewers want to know if and why this opportunity matters to you. Employers are always in need of dedicated new hires that are committed to working hard and contributing new ideas and new perspectives to their teams. This is not to say that employers are expecting you to work at their companies forever—they recognize that many employees will eventually move on to other, perhaps “bigger and better” things in the future. However, it is vital that you demonstrate that you still care about the position and are willing to give it your all, whether your hire is temporary or not.

Other common questions include: what is something you would like to improve about yourself in the future/what is your biggest weakness? Why should we hire you/what is your biggest strength? Have you ever worked with a difficult boss or co-worker and how did you handle it?

The questions asked in interview are ultimately all meant to prompt you to reveal information about your skills, experiences, and personality. But regardless of the questions, it is most important to remain authentic in your answers. Lying to or misleading your interviewer will only hurt you in the long run, for interviewers can usually tell when an interviewee is not being truthful. Moreover, if you lied about or over-exaggerated your capabilities and by some miracle got hired, you would still be unable to do your job efficiently, for you would lack the actual skill set necessary to succeed.

In the end, try not to stress too much! If you’ve been called in for an interview, you must already fit most of the employer’s criteria for new hires, so just be as honest as possible and have confidence in yourself and your qualifications. Even if you don’t get the job, at least you’ll have gained some valuable interviewing experience for next time.