This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In a city where residents are so accustomed to rain they only own items of clothing with hoods (yet scorn umbrellas) occasional rays of sunshine are received with unbridled joy. Although no one comes to Seattle for the weather, it is truly beautiful in the sunny seasons. This week we had a glimpse of what’s to come for summer, and the change on campus was incredible. 

Students toss off Uggs and rain-boots for flip flops, jeans for skirts, shorts and sundresses and parkas for floatey sweaters and tank tops. They clutch iced espresso drinks instead of steaming thermoses and passing times become a relaxed meander broken up by laughter instead of the hushed, heads down shuffle of winter, trying to avoid another day of dampened clothes. Not only does the student body reveal, well, more of the student body, but the energy levels in the school noticeably heighten and campus really seems a chirpier place. Whether it’s just the influx of vitamin D or a more profound effect on the student psyche, UW’s quad filled Spring Quarter is definitely the happiest. (And the most misleading for prospective student tours.)

Avalon is in her second year at the University of Washington, and currently pursuing a BA in Global Studies. When she's not in class, Avalon works at UWB's Learning Technologies center as a student assistant. She enjoys making lists, eating delicious food, watching movies, and crafting. Avalon's favorite town is probably Cabo San Lucas.