Campus Conversations: Anna Gallagher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

She’s not just a pretty faceAnna Gallagher is one of the most successful students in the University of Washington: being an honors student for straight 4 years, the president of a famous business RSO, having a bright future career ahead, and most importantly, she’s got the lovely smile and the charming personality that bloom everywhere she goes.

photo by Anna Gallagher

Grade: Senior, graduating in June 2017

Major: Business Administration (Human Resource Management), Education minor

Involvement/Jobs: Undergraduate Women in Business-UWiB (President), Undergraduate Advising (Peer Advisor), Honors Program (Member, Peer Educator), HR intern at Boeing

Future Career: HR associate at Boeing

Fun Fact: Can fall sleep right away!

What are your hobbies?

“I love doing Cardio dance with my roommate! It is a best way to distress, and this is my 5th quarter taking the class at IMA. Another thing I like is trying new restaurants. My favorite would be Mamma Melina (Ristorante & Pizzeria) near U-Village! I also like travelling. I have studied in Germany and have been to several European countries including England and Czech-Republic.”

photo by Anna Gallagher

“I wanted to become the 1st female president of the United States!”

What was your dream when you were little?

“Aha, I was a big dreamer. I wanted to become the 1st female president of the United States! My teacher in 5th grade was awesome and very supportive. She made a T-shirt with the picture of George Washington in the front and “Gallagher, 2030” (my last name and the year I can legally register for the election!) in the back. That was really sweet.”

What is your passion?

“I really like helping people to develop themselves and achieve their goals. I guess all the jobs I have done, such as peer advisor and HR intern, have the aspect and show my passion in the field.”

How do you describe yourself? Maybe as an animal?

“A learner. I’m always willing to learn. Also, I like to be challenged and get motivated when there’s something new or a problem to be solved. I might be a bit workaholic in that way! If I were an animal, it would be dog. I am usually pretty happy and always like to do something……I think I am loyal too!”

What makes you happy?

“Definitely, spending time with those who I care about. Even doing homework can be something I look for, if I do it with my friends.”

photo by Anna Gallagher

“We want to help building a long-term friendship and professional relationship.”

How do you describe UWiB in one word?

“Community. I remember coming to the UWiB meeting for the first time four years ago; everyone in the club was very welcoming and friendly, and I felt that I found a place to be in this large university. Myself and all the executive members really care about creating UWiB as a community where people can be connected inside and outside of UW and even after graduation. We want to help building a long-term friendship and professional relationship.”

What is your opinion on female leadership?

“We sure need more women as leaders. It is something we need to change, and I think our generation can do it. But that can happen only when everyone supports it. Regardless of your gender, it is very important to discuss and raise awareness of it. That is why I am super excited about the UWiB event “Closing the Gap” on February 11. It offers the perspectives of both female and male leaders on women’s power in business. This is something we have not done before, and I’m very looking forward to talk with everyone there!”

via UWiB Official page

“it is important to realize that you cannot be perfect all the time.”

Any advice to success in UW or college life?

“Find one or two things you can be passionate about and focus on them. Taking leadership roles there would be valuable for sure. Also, it is important to realize that you cannot be perfect all the time. Forgive yourself when things do not work out, and always think what is important to you.”

More information:

Undergraduate Advising: https://www.washington.edu/uaa/advising/

Undergraduate of Women in Business (UWiB): https://students.washington.edu/uwib/wordpress/

Closing the Gap: https://www.facebook.com/events/180426712434851/