This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

The new Barbie dolls, plethora of BuzzFeed videos on body image, and Dove commercials all speak to the growing acceptance and appreciation of diversity and body positivity in the U.S. But while a Sports Illustrated cover featuring Ashley Graham should be applauded and seen as a step in the right direction, a true and widespread paradigm shift in body image takes more than new products and inclusive advertisement. It requires deeper messages, education, and ultimately—support.

So much of our perspectives is molded by those we are surrounded by growing up. We inevitably absorb the thoughts, habits, and mentalities of the people we live with and those we admire. In this light, models like Ashley Graham and Tess Holliday are changing the game—they show that beauty is not something that can be standardized. However, the real task is teaching girls that they should not be looking at magazine covers and television screens to determine their beauty, they should be looking within themselves. The paradigm shift is not complete when there is full representation of body types across all media, it is complete when mental health is made a priority in classrooms. It is when educators take the time to reveal the realities of advertisement and Hollywood and social media. It is about shaping perspectives when minds are most impressionable, even before they are most impressionable. 

Of course there are many other factors, many limitations and qualifications to what I am saying in this short blog post. I recognize that people with the most loving and supportive families and the most wholistic education still fall prey to negative body image. I recognize that oftentimes, body image issues and especially, especially eating disorders are rooted in the mind—sometimes inexplainable. And I don’t mean to say these things are in any way easily combated. They will persist so long as we do. What I do mean to say is that we, as a society, could do better. In many ways, yes, but especially by teaching lessons that have been undervalued in education systems. By taking it upon ourselves, as individuals, to collectively make a change in the way future generations think. The University of Washington is so lucky to have a club dedicated to mindfulness, but we as individuals should constantly be working towards mindfulness on our own. This means thinking about the way we think and questioning beliefs we have always held.

I have a close friend who has been very fit her entire life. She was physically active throughout high school and works out regularly in college. She eats balanced meals. This is all good. Physical health is so important. However, the longer I’ve been friends with her, the more I’ve started to notice how often she says phrases like “I need to work out, I ate so much junk this weekend!” or “I have to work off that brownie.” While these are seemingly harmless phrases we might often say or think ourselves, they actually perpetuate the idea that food is something we must earn—that things like ice cream or chips must always be attached to sheepishness or guilt or the excuse of a “cheat day.” This is an idea that must be re-oriented. 

Being healthy is so much more than physical health. It is a combination of physical health and mental health, the latter being what must come first. Only when we work out with the right mindset will it all be worth it. We must eat well and exercise for the love of our bodies, not just external, but internal as well. If we’re strong enough to train ourselves to endure miles of running or however many squat sets, we’re strong enough to train ourselves to love our bodies—no matter where they fall in comparison to the girl next door’s. And we have to be okay with the days where we lie in bed watching Netflix, getting Cheeto dust everywhere. We have to learn that eating ramen last night doesn’t mean we must punish ourselves with strictly celery today or working out an extra hour. We have to realize and accept that college is meant to challenge us and that we might gain a little extra around the edges.

Push yourself to find role models you aspire to not because they’re beautiful, but because they’re inspiring. Focus on bettering yourself by using yesterday’s self as your benchmark, not the letter on the tag or the number on the scale. It’s so much easier said than done, but by reminding yourself to be aware of the present moment, it can be done. The next time you look at that #fitspo post, consider how it affects you. Does it make you feel worse about yourself? Does it motivate you? Do you simply admire it? If you find that it is negatively affecting your self-image, then you must find a way to re-direct your energy. Surround yourself with people who you know accept you without judgment, so that you can grow to love yourself the same way. Condition yourself to love yourself unconditionally. 

You know the way your grandma overfeeds you because she wants to make sure you’re healthy and not hungry? Love your body like that. 

SaveSave

Erin Lee

Washington '17

I guess the format goes something like year, major, clubs...but I don't really think those things are integral to defining who I am. What really defines me is a loaded question, so I'll just throw out some things that come to mind: 1. I'm one of those social introverts. I much prefer small group and one-on-one interactions, but I can deal with large mixers. So long as I have a mixed drink in hand. 2. I am proud to live in the PNW. I mean, make fun of Socality posts all you want (I do), but we have trees. We have mountains. Water (both swimmable and drinkable, California). All four seasons. And diversity. Diverse cultures. This means more history. More food. More languages.  3. I thrive on intelligent conversation. I don't mean that in a pretentious way. I just mean that I lack the patience for small talk or shallow conversations. I value honesty to the point where it's a bit abrasive--I want to know what makes you tick. We can discuss favorite colors later. Intelligent conversation also means creating a space for listening and learning in the face of disagreement.  4. I'm definitely into the arts more than athletics. Not saying I am artistically skilled, more like artistically inclined. I find beauty in art of all media. But especially, especially music. What am I currently listening to? The OST for Whiplash. So, Big Band Jazz! All the thumbs up.   Okay I'll stop here because this was supposed to be short. But yes, I am in college. I go to the University of Washington and I'm pursuing a business marketing degree.