6 Books to Relax With Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I’ll admit it — I’m one of those people who likes to say that reading is one of my hobbies, but I’m rarely able to incorporate it into my life. However, winter break is one of those times that I love to use to catch up on reading because the weather is perfect for cozying up next to a fireplace with a good book (plus the coming new year calls for some much needed new perspectives). For those of you looking to get back into reading as well, here are six books perfect to help you relax this winter break.

1. Turtles All The Way Down 

In his long-awaited sixth novel, John Green tells a story of sixteen-year-old Aza trying her best to make it through the world while struggling with mental illness. Green doesn’t just tell — he pulls you into Aza’s story, and has you walk alongside with her to truly understand what it’s like to be her. Green himself has expressed his experiences with mental illness including depression, OCD, and anxiety; thus, this book gives you a glimpse and understanding into his world. After the rough grind of finals, this book will remind you that it’s okay to be and feel human ­— the perfect detox.

Ideal Reading Method: in bed with a flashlight and tissue box—and no plans the next morning.  

2. All The Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See is a novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in Nazi-occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II. I’m not one for historical books, but I never considered this one; rather, this is a story that just happens to occur in a historical setting. At the core of this book is the unraveling complexity of its plot and the development of its authentic characters that will make you stay up just to know what happens next. You will fall in love with the characters and be in awe at just how beautiful writing can be. 

Ideal Reading Method: over the span of a week (it’s a big book), and over long stretches of time when you can get lost in its world. 

3. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

We’ve all come across self-help books: a supposed manual on how to make yourself, your life better, and essentially turn all the lemons in your life to lemonade. Sometimes we get lost in creating our ‘best selves,’ caring too much about even the little and petty things in our lives in a quest to make everything perfect. Mark Manson’s book criticizes this chase for perfection and gives a realistic approach on how to deal with challenges in your life. As the year is coming to an end, this book will make you reflect on what really matters to you and hopefully give you a new perspective on how to deal with uncertainty, fear, and challenges in life. 

Ideal Reading Method: a chapter before bed with a cozy atmosphere and lit candles or early in the morning with a cup of coffee and the rising sun. 

4. The Sun and Her Flowers

Most people have come across Rupi Kaur’s bestselling poetry collection, Milk and Honey. Milk and Honey was a painfully honest and realistic confrontation of pain in Kaur’s life, and the life of being a woman in general. The Sun and Her Flowers is Kaur’s second collection of poetry and focuses on a transcendent journey about growth and healing. You will bear witness to the experiences of a woman coming from a place of pain to one of acceptance and healing. This collection will be a perfect healing and soothing experience for anyone who came out of this year with a couple scars.

Ideal Reading Method: with a cup of tea next to the fireplace on a rainy day. 

5. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

This book is for the everyday person who doesn’t have time to think about the cosmos, space, and dark holes, but still finds the universe vastly interesting. Neil deGrasse Tyson translates for us everything we need to know about the current state of astrophysics, along with his usual enthusiasm and humor. For those who know nothing about astrophysics, it’s a good place to start and put into perspective the vast world around us.

Ideal Reading Method: on the go — on a bus, plane, between flights, etc. 

6. Calm the Fuck Down: An Irreverent Adult Coloring Book

I know what you’re going to say—that coloring books have gone out of style—but let me suggest, that even if it’s not a new fad anymore, it’s still a great way to relax and activate that more creative side of yourself. One of the problems I came across with coloring books is that the designs are sometimes so intricate and perfect that I found myself stressing out about what colors to choose (which defeats the very purpose of the book). This book in particular has silly and sassy quotes on many of the designs, making them feel less serious, and once you get into it, it does a great job of relaxing you. 

Ideal Reading (Coloring) Method: at night with the TV playing your favorite reruns in the background.