5 Movies & TV Shows to Watch When You’re Stressed Beyond Belief

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

It’s halfway through the quarter and everyone, to some degree, is probably stressed and overwhelmed by their classes. Whether you’ve just finished your midterms and are now looking with horror towards finals, or whether you’re in one of those classes that seems to an exam every. single. week, it’s good to take a step back and realize that if you’re trying your best, you’re already doing great. When it’s time to just put that textbook down and give your brain a break, here’s a list of 5 movies & tv shows to watch based on your stress level.

Stress level: Princess Mia driving the Stang

Feel out of control, burned out, in neutral going backwards? Take this opportunity to realize that while you may be going backwards now, you’ll end up as the princess of your own story soon enough. Mia didn’t become Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, Princess of Genovia, overnight, afterall. It took friends, family, mentors, haters, tears, ice cream, and lots of personal growth for her to reach a place of happiness, satisfaction, and confidence. If this strikes a chord with what you’ve been feeling, press play on Princess Diaries! Worst case scenario, if you don’t feel better after watching, you can always resort to throwing some paint-filled balloons against a wall.

Stress level: Elizabeth James finding out that she’s going to see Nick Parker after 11 years

Are you about to confront your past and find yourself feeling pretty anxious about it? Are you anxious-nervous about it? Or anxious-excited for it? If you’re anxious-nervous, be like Elizabeth and rely on a close friend to help you through this tough time. If you’re anxious-excited, still bring your friend along to have some fun! Don’t be blindsided if things don’t go as planned or if there are some twists or turns along the way. The path to happiness may take a little longer than anticipated, so letting go of the reins might help you find inner peace along the way. For anyone freaking out like Elizabeth James, pop in The Parent Trap and relive the baby Lohan days!

Stress level: Troy Bolton choosing between singing and basketball

If you find yourself stuck between a rock and a hard place, High School Musical is here to help you get’cha head in the game! Making life choices can be difficult, but like Troy, if you take some time to self-reflect and seek advice from friends who want the best for you, you can’t go wrong. Marathon all three HSM movies and bop back to the top of your game in no time! 

Stress level: The Office during their fire drill

Collective panicking has never been more hilarious. Of course, in the midst of a situation where everything is falling apart and no one knows what to do, chaos and distress can ensue. It’s only after the fact that we can reflect on what happened and (possibly) find humor in everything simultaneously combusting. If anything, this scene from The Office is a good reminder that sometimes, we just need to laugh at the hard times and it’ll all turn out okay. 

Stress level: Ross when he’s “fine” and making FAJITAS!

If you’re currently struggling with relationship problems, or find yourself adamantly in denial about something going on in your life, you might be in a situation similar to season 10 Ross (who is “FINE”). To be clear: it’s totally okay to be uncomfortable or dislike something happening in your life. However, if this is the case, I would suggest confronting the situation head-on to communicate your feelings and not pull a Ross (aka hosting a dinner party to pretend that everything is fine—”I’m making FAJITAS!”). For more lessons about the craziness of life, love, and friendship, take a night to relax and laugh along with this group of FRIENDS—I guarantee you will feel better afterwards.

What are some of your favorite movies or tv shows to watch when you need a stress break? Comment below!