4 Ways To Reenergize Yourself Before Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

It’s easy to find yourself in a slump during week 8; you’re in the thick of midterms, final projects are rearing their ugly heads, and you haven’t really slept since sometime around January.  Here’s some tips to help pull yourself out of that nasty end-of-the-quarter slump.

1. Pamper Yourself

via Instagram

Take a second to fill your tub and relax with a bath bomb (which can be really cheap), a nice book, Netflix, or, if you’re really busy, your textbook!  You can also make your own DIY face mask to rejuvenate your skin. If any of this seems too time-consuming, it’s important to remember that pampering yourself can be done in any fashion – big or little. Whether it comes in the form of taking an extra second to put some lotion on your skin or buying a candy bar to make your heart happy, a little time out of your day to focus on yourself and redirect your energy will make you ready to tackle the rest of the quarter!

2. Start Studying In the Library

via Pinterest

If you’re not already studying in a library or mellow coffee shop, try getting there as often as you can when you have a lot of work to do. Being in a semi quiet environment devoted to the activity you’re engaged in does wonders for productivity.The studiousness of your peers around you also propels you into a working mindset. Have you ever been studying in your room, looked up at the clock, and then realized that you’ve spent the last few hours alone in the same place? That can be discouraging and when you get yourself to a library not only do you get a little bit of fresh air on the way there and back, but you also get a change of environment that makes you feel more productive. If you’re ever afraid of walking home in the dark, don’t hesitate to call Husky Night Walk at (206) 685- 9255, after calling a uniformed security guard will meet you at your location to walk you home safely (this service operates 7 days a week from 6:30pm to 2am).

3. Start Eating Healthier

via Pinterest

If you’ve fallen victim to the end of quarter slump, you’ve likely also started eating unhealthy, quick meals.  A diet high in fat, refined starches, and sugar might be simple and tasty, but it will leave you feeling sluggish and not in the mood to study.  It’s important to always be mindful of what you’re putting into your body- and this becomes even more important when big tests and projects are coming up that require a lot of brain power.  Stop grabbing a bag of  chips to snack on and start planning out healthier alternatives.  Try to lessen your intake of things high in fat and white carbs like a burger and fries and instead increase your intake of leafy greens, lean protein, fruits, and vegetables!  If you start to change your diet over to a healthier one (and remember to drink water), you’ll begin to notice a more awake and ready to learn persona take shape.

4. Clean Your Living Space

via Pinterest

No one likes to wake up to clutter, and cleaning out your dorm, kitchen, living room, etc. will make you feel like you have a fresh start to tackle your classes.  Waking up to a clean area helps make you feel at ease and gives you one less thing to stress about.  Put on some music and get your hands dirty for a bit to get your mind off studies and totally declutter your life.  This might actually help in more ways than one, because allowing your mind to drift towards more positive things can trigger your subconscious and actually make yourself feel better. 

School work is important and there’s nothing more stressful than finals, so its important to take a moment or two these next few weeks to focus on yourself for a change!