10 Relatable Moments Every Girl Understands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I recently came across this super cute and very relatable instagram page @PlanetPrudence. Scrolling through the oodles of doodles on said page, I found myself thinking “YUP” to almost each one. Read below for 10 relatable situations that only go to show we’re all a little bit more similar than we think!

1. When you do nothing but life is still really hard

I’m not sure why, but some days life just feels extra tough. These are the times when you need to take a step back, maybe think about things from a new perspective, clear your mind, take a few deep breaths, drink some water, and you’ll come to find that life isn’t so hard after all.

2. When you need a night just to yourself 

There are nights where I’m super excited to get all fancy and dressed up, and there are nights where I want nothing more than to be cozy in my pjs all night, with a good book, a blanket, and a cup of tea. There’s no shame in needing your “me” time to take care of yourself!

3. When you don’t need it but you get it anyway (and love it)

Sometimes we make irrational purchasing decisions. We know we don’t need it, we know we can’t really afford it, and we don’t know exactly when we can use it. But we just really WANT it! In this situation, if you love it that much, buying it might be the best purchasing decision ever. If it makes you happy, it’s a good decision. 

4. When your best friend invites you over and you decide its officially time to move in

Some of my best memories come from the nights where I’m getting ready for events together with my best friends. Trying on and borrowing each other’s clothes, helping each other with hair and makeup, music playing, laughing the whole time. Simply because we like to prepare for anything and everything, it’s totally normal to pack all your bags and haul your whole life over to your bff’s house when the situation calls for it.

5. When you make excuses for being unproductive

“Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” Wise, wise words spoken by Benjamin Franklin. In theory, this is a very good point. Also, putting it into practice in my own life has proven to be effective as well (it’s nice to be one step ahead of the game when I can be). However, sometimes being productive is hard, and no one should judge you for occasionally not being on top of everything.

6. When nothing in the world is more important than sleep 

For someone who used to so easily be able to pull all-nighters, it’s strange to me that I now need about 7-8 hours of sleep per night to be a fully functional and nice human being. And even when I do get the hours that I need, I sometimes ignore my morning alarm and just keep on sleeping—one can never get enough beauty rest, right? Sleep is just too good!

7. When life is stressful and you wish for just one day without responsibilities  

Growing up sometimes feels like building a personal tower of responsibilities that slowly weighs you down. There are definitely healthy ways to embrace these responsibilities, and I think we are all in the midst of finding out which ways work best for our individual selves. In spite of this, there are still days where I wish I had a little bit less to do or a little bit less to worry about, and I again begin to question why they give kindergartners nap time when it’s really the adults who need it.

8. When you have nothing else to say—except for that you do

We just have a lot of thoughts and opinions, and it’s a great thing! Sometimes we’re just being stubborn to be stubborn, but more often than not I think our zesty views really liven up the conversation.

9. When you tell yourself you’ll buy something when the time is right

Sometimes the right time will always be “next time”, or it will be way in the future. If you see something you really love, just think of this doodle – will you be okay with buying it in 60 years…? Sometimes the right time is right now!

10. When you’re a fierce female who can do absolutely anything!

No matter what, we are all strong, independent women who can do anything we set our minds to! We’re all so different, but also weirdly the same when it comes to certain things. I’m proud to be myself, and I wouldn’t want to share these feelings and experiences with any other group of people!