What to Do with Your Leftover Textbooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

So the end of the semester is rolling around, and I’m sure you’ve got stacks on stacks on stacks… of textbooks that you can’t wait to get rid of. But what’s a girl supposed to do to get that Gen Chem book out of her life forever?

1. Beeline to the bookstore: When it comes to convenience, the bookstore’s got it down to a tee. Just head over to Mallinckrodt, and the bookstore will take most books you bought from them and buy them back. The downside to this convenience? First off, they won’t take back all your books – the less expensive ones aren’t worth it for them. Second, they will only accept books you bought at the bookstore. And last but most notable? They’re buying them back for a fraction of the cost. I sold them back a $50 book last semester and I think I maybe got $5 for it.

Wustl.edu

2. Return your rentals (or live and learn): Whether you got them at Amazon or the bookstore, rentals are AMAZING because by definition, you’re not stuck with the books at the end of the semester! To return your rentals, either bring them back to the bookstore or mail them back to Amazon. And if you didn’t rent when you could? Well, now you know.

phx.corporate-ir.net

3. Let companies buy your books back: Instead of letting the bookstore buy back your books for pennies on the dollar, try selling them to websites! Amazon, Chegg, and Barnes and Noble are just a few of the websites that will buy back your textbooks. While this may or may not get you more money than selling to the bookstore, it’s worth a shot to see how much these companies will pay you to take the books off of your hands.

Forbes.com

4. Check out Lock and Chain: If you’re more into “keeping it local,” give Lock and Chain a try! The sophomore honorary sets up times at every residential college on the 40 to collect books. They will take your books while you set the price. Next semester, at their annual textbook sale someone will (hopefully) be in need of your textbook and will pay what you asked for! Pro: much higher payout. Con: you don’t know if your book will be sold for sure.

Lockandchain.org

Article cover image via. csusmchronicle.com

Gabi Stone is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis, a short 9-hour drive away from her hometown of Detroit, Michigan. She enjoys solo grocery shops at Whole Foods, Saturday Night Live reruns, and checking things off of lists.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.