Sarah Ettinger 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s formal season! And it has been for quite a while. But is your perfect dress just slightly too long? Or too short? Or too big after your spring break diet? Fortunately for you, this week’s Campus Celeb is not only a fashionista but also a master seamstress and savvy businesswoman. Sarah Ettinger can take your favorite dress with the huge rip in the seam and sew it up as good as new. So if you’re looking to prevent any wardrobe malfunctions on your fanciest photo op of the semester, like the Sarah Mae page on Facebook, let her work her magic, and consider her your formal fairy godmother.

Name: Sarah Ettinger

Hometown: Potomac, Maryland

Major: Fashion Major, Art History Minor

On Campus Involvement: Delta Gamma, Editor at Armour, Club Lacrosse

Tell me about your alterations business: I’ve been altering people’s clothing to help save rent money for this summer in New York. I’ve been a lot of doing hemming, darts, taking in, taking out…just basic alterations.

What are you doing in New York this summer? Last summer I worked for Marchesa, and through that experience I was able to get a design internship this summer for the women’s runway department at Michael Kors.

What got you interested in fashion? I’ve never wanted to do anything else. My mom was a seamstress so she taught me to sew when I was 10, and I got involved in fashion shows in high school.

Fashion shows? Yeah, my school had a fashion show every year that I would run. We donated all the proceeds to a non-profit called Suited for Change that runs a boutique of donated clothing for underprivileged women and facilitates them reentering the workforce.

Favorite thing you’ve done with fashion at Wash U? We’re just starting to get into the major. I’m in a textile class right now, and this year I’ll be showing a line in the senior fashion show, which is a huge honor as a sophomore.

Dream Job? Well, my first dream job is to open my own label and design lingerie and eveningwear. My second dream job would be to design costumes for New York City Ballet.

What inspired you to start your current business? In St. Louis, it’s really hard to find an alternations place, and when you do it tend to be really overpriced. So my goal is to offer convenient alterations to students at a lower price.

How long do alterations normally take you? I usually have them back within 3 to 4 days even during busy seasons. Right now I’m in studio with 6 formal dresses to work on…

How do customers get in touch for with you? I have a FB page called Sarah Mae so people contact me thorough that. I have my portfolio online as well, but I usually have people inbox me or text me.