Robert Kim 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Hometown? Westchester, NY
Major? Anthropology on a pre-med track
Minor? Biology in Public Health
Year? 2013
What is the last dream you remember having? It was a dream about two talking dolphins negotiating the difference between a beach ball and another stuffed animal.
Where do you get inspiration for your style? I think I get inspiration from blogs and New York street style since that’s where I’m from. I really appreciate it when people take street style and transform it into their own wardrobe…and then make it more tight. Fit is really important. Oh, also Children with Swag. I wish I could be as stylish as them!
What is your number one guilty pleasure? I really like the show Revenge, but I hate that I like it. Also I’m obsessed with lactate milk even though I’m lactose intolerant. And I’ll admit that I dance in my room a lot. I feel like everything I do is a guilty pleasure!
Oh, so you love dancing? Yes, I love dancing! Dancing is one of my biggest passions. When I dance it’s like electricity going through my body and my heart is pounding through my chest. I try to learn different styles of dance all the time. I’ve done Bollywood, contemporary, hip-hop, and modern so far. My dream is to be on So You Think You Can Dance. I’m in composition classes and hopefully I’ll be in the Young Choreography Showcase.
What else are you involved in on campus? I’m an RA on Dardick 4. DTF! Everyone wants to be us. I’m also a part of Safe Zone, a LGBT educational group. On top of that I’m Uncle Joe’s Peer Counseling Co-Director and Training Director. I lead the 100 hours of training required!
How did you get involved with Uncle Joe’s? Well it’s funny because I applied 20 minutes before the deadline! I’m the kind of person people come to talk to and I feel honored when they come to me about their problems. I was bullied when I was little and never had anyone to talk to. I want to be there for people who don’t have anyone.
How can others get involved?  Apply! I think a lot of people are scared to take that first chance. I think that just goes with anything. Take the chance and go try it out. If they’re interested, they can contact unclejoesrecruitment@gmail.com.
Has this impacted where you see yourself in 10 years?  When I first came to WashU, I wanted to be a pediatric surgeon, but now I’m more interested in the mental health side. I find listening to people very important and it gave me skills to connect with people and mediate conflicts. Every person’s story is different. That’s why I’m excited to hear people’s problems, because I get to listen to different stories.

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.