Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Wash U Features

6 Costumes to Ditch This Halloween

By Chloe Baker
October 20, 2014 - 1:56am

We have all seen the classic Halloween party scene in Mean Girls. Cady Heron walks into a house full of scantily clad girls dressed up (or down, rather) in what one would think of as classic girls' Halloween party costumes: cats, bunnies, mice, among other animal varieties. I mean, who could forget Karen's classic line, "I'm a mouse, duh"? Cady, however, is dressed as an elaborate, bloody zombie bride. We laugh and make fun of her, yet there's something to be said for going against the grain and not conforming to the classic "sexy" Halloween costume. Alas, a list of those costumes to cross off as your potential October 31st disguise. READ MORE

5 Unique Ways to Spice Up Your Dorm Room

By Elana Sasson
October 7, 2014 - 11:57am

1. Ceramic Egg Cartons: Egg cartons can be incredibly useful when compartmentalizing studs, bracelets, and stacking rings. While jewelry trees are probably prevalent amongst your friends' dorm rooms, stand out with this clever accessory. Buy a ceramic egg carton in a bright color to warm up your room, or just use an actual egg carton DIY style. Courtesy of turquoiseandteale.com READ MORE

6 Key Techniques for Midterm Procrastinating

By Gabi Stone
October 5, 2014 - 4:23pm

October: a month of sweaters, pumpkin spice, piles of leaves and piles of midterms. Yes, nothing says "autumn is here" like the arrival of midterm season. However, if you’re already overwhelmed and sick of staring at your lecture notes, there are plenty of ways to procrastinate the time away: 1. Go through all of the course listings and plan your next semester schedule READ MORE

Your First Exam As Told By Lauren Conrad

By Rachel Shaiman
September 21, 2014 - 12:31pm

7 Must-Try Autumn Trends

By Lace Nguyen
September 18, 2014 - 3:35pm

St. Louis weather is full of eccentricities, so it comes as no surprise that the temperature could dramatically drop while we’re still not over short shorts and Wayfarers. Is that a problem? Absolutely not, because let's face it: fall fashion is the best. How can you not get absurdly excited about oversized sweaters, motorcycle jackets and ankle boots? So, after months of sweat, heat and sleepless summer nights, it's nice to just wrap yourself in layers and knits and enjoy the falling leaves with these must-have trends. READ MORE

6 Fashion Tips for Unpredictable Weather

By Sydney Davis
September 11, 2014 - 3:25pm

Sometimes, I just want to shout, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” at the gloomy St. Louis sky. Is it raining, is it 98°, is a tornado about to touch down? Who really knows anymore? With the ever-changing weather, choosing your outfit each morning can be nearly impossible, especially as fall approaches. Instead of accepting the fact that you’ll either be too cold or too hot, remember these tips when you stare blankly at your closet before your 10am class. READ MORE

Your Ultimate Style Guide for LouFest 2014

By Lindsay Callahan
September 5, 2014 - 4:45pm

It’s that time of the year again: COACHELLA! Okay, maybe not. But really, this weekend is LouFest, which is going to be an incredible two days filled with great music by bands such as Cake, The 1975, Matt and Kim, and OutKast (didn’t even know they were still a thing). While LouFest probably won’t attract the Kardashians, Victoria’s Secret models, or the hottest fashion bloggers, this event is certainly one where you can freely express your style. Here are some tips to fashionably dress yoself for this weekend: READ MORE

How to Survive Reading and Exam Week

By Kiki Somers
April 26, 2014 - 10:16pm

The last day of classes is finally here and exams are around the corner. But first comes reading week. Though these few days of non-stop cramming can be daunting and painful, there is a light at the end of the tunnel as summer is only days away. Here are five simple tips to surviving reading week and exams. 1)   Eat Breakfast: READ MORE

Top 20 Chick Flicks of All Time

By Kiki Somers
April 18, 2014 - 4:31pm

Sometimes a girls’ movie night is simply a necessity. But the question always remains, what movie should we watch? Well, below is your cheat sheet to the most quotable, memorable, and sassiest chick flicks out there. 1. The Parent Trap (1998) Every girl’s first and most beloved chick flick – a #tbt to when Li-Lo was still innocent and cutting our own bangs seemed like a great idea! 2. Mean Girls (2004) READ MORE

Best Wash U Hotspots to Show Your Prefrosh

By Chloe Baker
April 11, 2014 - 1:41pm

Trying to sell WashU to a prefrosh simply by telling them “omg it’s the best school ever” or “the people are just SO nice” doesn’t quite cut it. When hosting a prefrosh, it’s essential to show off the best spots around WashU and outside of campus. 1) Holmes Lounge Yes, this sounds ridiculous. However, time travel mentally to when you were looking at colleges and remember how impressed you were by the tiny aesthetic details. One look at those intricate ceilings and the prefrosh will be enchanted by how Instagram-able this school really is. READ MORE