Nate Ferguson 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

If senior Nate Ferguson did not manage to win your heart over with his snappy dance performance to Justin Bieber’s “Baby” and Ke$ha’s “Your Love is my Drug” in the Mr. WashU competition last Thursday evening, then his genuine love for his friends certainly will. This Midwestern winner of the 2011 Mr. WashU competition is interesting and easy to talk to, and is far too down to earth to ever wear a crown.

Hometown: Dublin, Ohio

Major: Political Science & Educational Studies

Relationship Status: Single

Campus Involvement: Beta Theta Pi Fraternity; Campus Y Tutor; WUSA

What do you want to be remembered for at WashU? I hope that I leave my mark on the people that are here and the relationships that I have formed. I have met a lot of awesome people here.

What natural gift would you most like to possess?  I’ve always wanted to be able to do a back flip.

Who are your favorite fiction heroes?  With the term “hero,” the first person that comes to mind is of course Superman. I also like Harry Potter.

What is your ideal first date? Doing something just fun and natural; so it’s not necessarily a specific thing but going out to dinner and being able to talk somewhere in a more low-key environment.

First thing you notice about a girl? Her eyes.

What is the most confusing things girls do? When they play hard to get, because you can never know if they just aren’t interested or if they want you to try harder.

What are your plans for next year?  Right now, I am jobless and still searching. But hopefully I’ll be working in event planning or event management. Putting on events has been one of my favorites parts of college.

Happiest memory here at WashU? It’s not necessarily one memory. But it’s basically what I’m doing right now, just hanging out in the DUC with my friends and talking about nothing particularly important.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?  Hopefully I’ll have a job at that point (laughs) and will be really growing in the company. I guess I’ll be starting a family with a wife and kids, settling down in the Midwest. I’m an Ohio boy born and raised, the East Coast scares me.

Where can we find you on a Saturday night? You can probably find me at Beta, on the Loop, or at Wild Country. (What’s Wild Country you ask? It’s a country line-dancing bar in southern Illinois – and Nate says it’s a lot of fun!)

Why did you choose to do Mr. WashU? This was the first year that I really had time to do it. I know some of the people who had done it in the past and they all had awesome experiences. The other candidates were amazing and that made it really great – I wouldn’t have gotten to know them otherwise. And I wanted to help out a very worthy cause in the city of St. Louis.

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.