Midterms and Mentality: How to Beat Stress and Achieve “Authentic Success”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Ever wish you had an encyclopedia on how to handle stress from the opposite sex, schoolwork and all the little things that build up along the way? Imagine having all the advice to manage that stress in one book that you can wrap your hands around to tell you everything’s going to be alright, just as your mom or dad would. Motivational Speaker and University of Denver’s highly rated ethics Professor Corey Ciocchetti has got it all figured out and can show you how you can too in his book Real Rabbits Chasing an Authentic Life. Corey believes that we spend too much time focusing on achieving the wrong kind of success (fame, wealth, glory, etc) when there’s so much more authentic and sustainable success that we can accomplish. So what is this “Authentic Success” and how can we get it while reading three books, writing 2 papers and studying for an exam a week?

According to Corey, authentic success is success that makes you “genuinely happy.” Think of the times when you smile the widest; these are your measurements of authentic success. In his book, Corey says that the details of authentic success varies from person to person but essentially “encompass[es] basic contentment, a wonderful family, bona fide friendships, a rewarding career and the ability to grow personally, professionally and spiritually.” Aside from showing you how to see the big picture, Corey takes you on a tour of how to build a strong foundation of work ethic, character, and perspective.

What better time than a week and a half before Spring Break to start toning our bodies and our minds! HC got a hold of the busy man in between his shows and found out what we need to know to stress a little bit less this semester.

What is stress?
Stress is a response by your body to an outside stimulus that tricks your body into thinking you’re in pain or scared.  At the end of the day, you want to be a little stressed or you’re not really living.  Too much stress, however, causes your body to respond in ways that takes a negative toll over time. (click here to take Corey’s test to find out if you’re too stressed!)

What is the quickest way to calm down when you’re freaking out?

Take five deep breaths and then spend some time fixing the problems that are stressing you out.  Too many people worry and worry and never fix the underlying problems.

What are some long-term goals you can strive for that will help
you beat the stresses in your life?

We all need to chase the things that really matter in our lives – contentment in our hearts, relationships, and character.  Instead, we chase money, popularity and fame.  These are things that – no matter how much of each you have – will never make you happy.  A life without contentment, relationships and character is stress causing.

What should you do if your friend is stressing? How do you help
them without becoming overwhelmed yourself?

You want to be a friend and listen but not a doormat.  You can be too compassionate and that will stress you out!

What are some of your favorite tips to stress less that your book offers?

• Cope with reality 
  • Make excellent decisions
  • Set priorities and have a big picture perspective

These tips are good for life right? They don’t have an expiration
date for just school, tests, or work right?

No expiration – in fact I would give the same advice to 9th graders and to retirees.  

In your opinion what’s the number one thing that College students
seem to have a poor conception of and how should they overcome that?

College students struggle to consistently make excellent decisions.  They sometimes make poor decisions and other times make okay decisions – both leading to not so positive consequences.  These consequences then stress them out!

Stay tuned in because HC will be back with Corey in the next couple weeks to talk about the importance of Healthy Personal Relationships, Finding Your Passion and Fighting Temptation in order to make excellent decisions. To get all this information and more check out Corey’s website and his book (you won’t regret it!!). For instant gratification, add him on Facebook, read some inspirational tid-bits, and see some funny photos that will make your day a little brighter and a little lighter because-hey, after all this is your life collegiettes! Let’s make it worthwhile by spreading more smiles than stress on campus.