This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Senior Liz Hay from Houston, Texas shows us the importance of the Wash U Greek Community. She exhibits the true spirit of going Greek, uniting all sororities and fraternities in a weeklong event that promises to be full of spirit and friendly competition. Liz is an active member of Alpha Omicron Pi, but her campus involvement doesn’t stop there – she is a role model for all the under-achievers out there.  Not only is Liz Vice President of Administration of the Student Union, but she also acts as Vice President of Programming for Women’s Panhellenic, and President of the Student Alumni Ambassador Program! If you see Liz around campus, be sure to stop her and thank her for being the one to bring Greek Week back to WUSTL.

Name Liz Hay

Year: 2014

Hometown: Houston, Texas

Major: International Area Studies, with minors in Chinese and Economics

How did you get involved with Greek Week?

Last year I was the Vice President of Administration for Panhellenic Executive Board. During that summer we came up with a strategic plan of how we wanted to see the Greek community evolve in the next 3 to 5 years and one of the proponents of that was having a Greek Week.

Tell me about Greek Week.

It is a weeklong event of four teams competing, all comprised of different Greek chapters. There are different days dedicated to different aspects of the Greek community. There is a service day, a faculty and staff appreciation day, and one for sports. The Greek community is a vital part of Wash U and they have so many leaders involved in activities all around campus. So, it is a great way to see how vibrant the Wash U Greek community is.

What is your favorite event?

The schedule has not been fully released but one thing I am really looking forward to is the Saturday BBQ. Rock the Row was such a success this year and I think that doing something similar, with small games and competitions leading up to the football game, will be exciting.

Why bring back Greek Week now?

It used to happen almost every year but there hasn’t been one the last few years. This Greek Week has more of a purpose and is meant to better the community.