This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Long distance relationships can be tricky, but they are definitely not impossible. In fact, for the right couples, long distance can be incredibly successful. Here’s a list of key ways to have a strong relationship from far away.

Communication

This is one of the most vital aspects of an LDR. Make sure to maintain strong communication with your significant other. And while regular texting and/or calling is definitely helpful, Skyping and FaceTime are preferable, because actually seeing the other person is one step closer to feeling like you’re not so far apart.

(wifflegif.com)

Fun traditions

Different traditions can be a fun way to stay connected. Develop your own ones and make them unique to your relationship!

(tumblr.com)

Daily Acts

Try your best to say goodmorning and goodnight to the other person no matter how crazy your day is! It’s a nice thing to hear first thing in the morning or right before bed.

(giphy.com)

Plan Visits!

Though visits may be few and far between, planning a time to see each other gives you both something to look forward to. The best part about long distance relationships is how much more you both value the time you can spend together.

(giphy.com)

Have “Dates”

While going out to dinner with your significant other may not be possible from a few states away, there are other, more “virtual” options for date nights. Whether it means toasting over Skype or watching a show together on Netflix, there are definitely ways to still enjoy date nights from far away.

(wifflegif.com)

Couple App

There is an app called “Couple” that lets you and your long distance partner do different things together. Yes, it’s cheesy, but it’s also great. You can send an “I’m thinking about you” message or make little drawings, like hearts. There is also a “Thumb Kiss” option that lets you and your significant other put your finger on the screen at the same time, and your phone will vibrate! Check it out here.

Long distance can be a challenge, but don’t give up. The next time you get to be with the person you love, it’ll make all of the months apart infinitely worth it. The distance only makes you stronger.

(wifflegif.com)

Mari is a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences at Wash U. She hails from Deerfield, IL, but tells everyone she's from Chicago to make it easier. When she's not writing for HC, you can find her going out with friends, exploring St. Louis, and working in the WUTV studio.
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.