katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Jordan Cohen-Kaplan (2018)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s a bird… it’s a plane.. it’s this week’s Campus Celeb! Not only has he already declared a major and a minor (woah, he’s only a freshman) but he also finds time to take flying lessons in St. Louis. Keep reading to learn more about Wash U’s coolest (only?) freshman with a sport’s license in flying. 

Year: Freshman

Major: Political Science

Minor: Finance

Hometown: Newton, Massachusetts

What are you involved in on campus? I’m really just involved in sailing team right now because flying takes up a good bit of my time. I definitely want to get more involved in clubs before I graduate and try something new.

What has been your favorite thing about Wash U so far? Seeing all the cool stuff around St. Louis and meeting new people.

How did you initially get involved in flying? I’ve always had an interest in airplanes and flying. I started to volunteer for an organization that gives small airplane flights to kids with terminal illnesses. Being around small airplanes rekindled my interest in aviation and I decided to take pilot’s lessons myself.

How did your parents react to this dangerous new interest? My parents were actually very encouraging. They pushed me to take my first lesson and to really get involved in it. They worried a bit too, though. They always told me to call them after I landed to let them know that I was okay. Also, before my first lesson, they came to the airport to look at the plane I would be using to make sure it looked safe. I’m hoping to convince my dad to take lessons so that we can fly together.

Have you been keeping up with this hobby since moving to St. Louis? I found a new flight school at the Downtown St. Louis Airport and I’ve been flying at least once a week. It’s been a great way to get my mind off of the workload at Wash U. The best thing about flying is that when you’re doing it, you’re totally engrossed and not thinking about anything else. Also, it’s been really cool flying in a new area. I’m used to flying around the ocean in Massachusetts but here it’s all over land. Last week I flew down to Arkansas and followed the Mississippi River, which was cool. 

What is your favorite step in the flying process? My favorite step in the process is flight planning. It’s cool to look at a map and see where I’m going to fly and what I’m flying over. I also like to find new airports to go to. My goal by June is to have flown to 100 airports.

Can you see yourself being a pilot as a full-time job? I don’t think so. Commercial pilots have a pretty difficult lifestyle—they’re away from home often and it can be hard to have a close relationship with family. Right now, flying is just a hobby for me.

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.