Jolijt Tamanaha 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

In light of upcoming Thanksgiving, this Campus Celebrity’s blog can direct you to all the right places on campus as you seek to expand your stomach for the big day. As the witty author of Fooducated.com, a food blog just for WUSTL students, and a visiting chef at Ibby’s, Jolijt Tamanaha has covered just about every menu item on and off campus. After having suffered through the first few months of freshman year as “That Girl” who set off the fire alarm with various microwave-induced explosions, Tamanaha is now enjoying a growing base of followers and support, even from Bon Appétit. Despite her success, she insists that she is not a “blogger,” a word that makes her cringe. So does dry chicken.

Name: Jolijt Tamanaha

Grade: Sophomore

Studying: Political Science and Writing

Where’d you learn you’re love of food? I used to watch a LOT of Food Network. I don’t anymore, though, because I can’t figure out how to make my TV work.

If we were meeting at a restaurant in STL right now, where would we be? Hmmm, that’s a tough one. I have a massive list of restaurants I want to try, so it’d probably be one of those. I’ve been dying to try Dressel’s Bar—it was recently featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives (another favorite TV show of Tamanaha’s).

What’s you’re favorite menu item at WUSTL? It depends on my mood, but I’d have to say the Flame-Thrower, when they have the time to do it well. Also, the Tiki Masala Chicken at World Fusion in Bears Den.

How did you decide to start your blog? Freshman year, I was whining about my boredom with the food here, because I was ordering the same thing over and over again. So I told I my friends I would order something different every day. I started the blog to keep me on track. It’s been about a year now, so finding new things to order has gotten more difficult, but Bon Appétit continues to surprise me.

You must be pretty tight with the Bon Appétit and Dining Services staff? I am. All of the staff are really cool and interesting. The chefs are extremely positive and open to criticism. They really value students’ opinions.

I tried to make Grilled-Cheese and Hummus a “thing” yesterday. It didn’t work out. Any similar experiences?  Oh I’ve had many a food-tastrophe. I tried to microwave a quiche one time—it was just a ball of salmonella. Ironing French toast was a total mess, also. It resulted in egg-soup. I guess I have an egg-failure theme going on.

Another theme I’ve noticed in your blog is your phobia of dry chicken. Can you egg-splain that? I am terribly afraid of dry poultry, like the chunks they put on your salad at the DUC. Eating dry chicken feels like all of the saliva in my mouth is leaving my body forever. It’s like the tragedy of Thanksgiving—have you ever had turkey that’s too moist?