absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Switch Up Your Lunch Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

There are only so many combinations of DUC salads you can eat. So, what’s a hungry Wash U student to do to break that mid-year #eeeeeats slump? After all, even Beyoncé knows lunch is a crucial part of your day…

popsugar.com

1. Revisit your DUC alternatives

@spoonuniversity_washu (Instagram)

While the DUC might be your safe place for sushi or a salad, when’s the last time you got a great sandwich? There are other places to grab a quick bite during your lunch break—don’t let lines deter you. Classic moves include Holmes Lounge for the one and only Holmes Wrap, Subway for a sandwich, cookie, and great music choices, or Einstein’s, which has some underrated great bagel sandwiches. 

2. Familiarize yourself with the “secret” lunch locations

diningservices.wustl.edu

I’m not afraid to admit that the Law Library scares me, and I have only set foot in the building once. But that fear has prevented me from checking out the Law Library Café, which has tossed-to-order salads, pizzas, and even a carvery station like Holmes. Also, along with a nice new building for B-schoolers, the addition of Bauer Hall on campus gave us the Bauer Hall Café, with pizzas, sandwiches, salads, and great chips. And, it’s right next to Starbucks, so you can get your PSL at the same time!

3. Break out of your comfort zone in the DUC

thedailytouch.com

^^ You after discovering all the options you’ve ignored at the DUC. This is simultaneously the easiest and hardest way to change up your lunch routine. The key is to find something similar but new. Do you normally get a “small mixed greens to go”? Try a taco salad with a lettuce base for the DUC’s take on a Chipotle salad. Looking for diversity in your lunch? Get pieces from different stations—vegetables from the grill, soup from the salad line, or chips and guac from the Mexican food line—to make a winning combo that can constantly be reinvented. Why haven’t you scoped out the vegetarian station even though it’s got the shortest line? Give it a try—I’ve heard the broccoli mac n’ cheese is a winner. 

¡Holy shitake! There’s no doubt that food on campus can get repetitive, day in and day out for weeks on end. But you can always find some spice in your food life. After all, don’t forget, we’re talking about finding delicious foods you can enjoy: it’s kind of a big dill. 

Gabi Stone is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis, a short 9-hour drive away from her hometown of Detroit, Michigan. She enjoys solo grocery shops at Whole Foods, Saturday Night Live reruns, and checking things off of lists.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.