How to Be A Good Friend during a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Remind Her That She Has Other Options

There isn’t just one person in the world for everyone, but right now your friend might not see that. So help her out. Just remember, quality over quantity. Pointing out one hot guy flirting with her in the stir-fry line is a lot better than assuring her that all the townies at Harry’s are totally checking her out.

Don’t Gossip

What may seem like a well-known fact to you might be something that your friend doesn’t want to share with the rest of the world. Before other people ask you about the breakup, ask your friend how she wants you to respond to any questions that may come up. And when in doubt, just play dumb.

Keep Shit Talking To a Minimum

As easy (and fun) as it is to verbally rip this guy to pieces, your friend dated him for a reason. Regardless of who ended it or why, there’s probably a part of her that still cares about him. Keep in mind that rattling off the many ways in which he sucks might only make her feel stupid for ever liking him in the first place. It’s important to be honest with her, but be careful about voicing your opinion until after her wounds have started to heal.

…But Make Jokes

If you’re incapable of being 100% serious no matter the circumstances, you may feel the need to make light of the situation. After all, you’d rather see your friend laughing than crying, right?

Let Her Know That You’re Thinking About Her

Text her to ask how her day’s going. Bring her coffee. Bake her cookies. Make her a playlist on Spotify (Taylor Swift is always a safe bet – have you heard her new single “Men are Horrible and Will Rip Your Heart to Pieces?” Or “Give Love Another Chance, What Could Possibly Go Wrong?” Okay, maybe I’m paraphrasing…) Send her pictures of animals dressed as animals. Do something. Anything, really. Just be sure to give her space if she needs it.

Images courtesy of Glamour.com and Personal.PSU.edu