Getting Involved on Campus: Books and Basketball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Looking for a fun and rewarding way to get involved on campus… look no further, I have the answers for you: Books & Basketball!

gephardinstitute

What is Books & Basketball?

Books & Basketball is a nonprofit organization that sends WashU students to local grade schools to mentor students. A typical day at Books and Basketball consists of 45 minutes of homework help followed by 45 minutes of gym time. Basketball and other organized games provide a great opportunity for the kids to form meaningful relationships with tutors while they simultaneously develop valuable social skills. The benefits of gym time translate to the tutoring portion because the positive relationships formed help to maintain a level of respect that contributes to successful learning and homework completion. Check out there website: http://wustlbooksandbasketball.com/

How else can I help?

Books and Basketball is having a BENEFIT NIGHT at SEOUL TACO this Monda, March 28th.Come to Seoul Taco March 28th from 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. to help support Books & Basketball! All you need to do is mention Books and Baskeball or show them the flier on your phone/device or the paper copy and they will donate 10% to Books and Basketball. The minimum amount they request you spend is $12, but you can combine food orders with friends!

Washington University Class of 2019 - Sam Fox School of Art & Design
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.