Finding the Best Little for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Bid day passes and suddenly the excitement of having a new pledge class transforms into a mutual anxiety between freshmen and sophomores about finding the perfect big/little pair. The hype often leads to frustration and a ridiculous mess of a competition without anyone really succeeding in finding a match. Here are some tips to get you through this process coming out on top!

1. Keep an open mind: Seriously, people often aren’t what meets the eye. Though you might think that you would want to be someone’s big because they’re in a certain group of friends, they really might not be a match. Not having heard their name before rush isn’t a reason to eliminate them from your list of possible littles.

2. Go in groups: The best way to meet a lot of different new members is to go on large group dates with them. However, keep dinner at around six people so that you don’t have to yell across the table to try to get a word in edgewise.

3. Similar doesn’t always mean better: So you might be from LA, love Vampire Weekend and study biochemistry. And wait, so does that girl in the new PC! Does that mean you should definitely be big and little? Not exactly. Finding someone with personality traits that complement yours, rather than exactly matching yours, can lead to a relationship that will help you both grow and be better people.

4. Ask for recommendations: After over a year of bonding with your pledge class, your sisters should really know you by now. Don’t be shy to ask different people if they have met anyone in the new pledge class with whom they think you’d really click.

5. Trust the system: It always works out in the end, and whether she was your first pick or your tenth, you’re bound to love each other once you spend lots of time together. After all, she’ll be dying to get to know you after she sees all the hard work you put into big/little week!

Article cover image via sororitypin.com

Chloe is a sophomore in the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. She hails from Westport, Connecticut where she was Managing Editor of her high school's newspaper. She is an avid fan of ice cream, Sex and the City marathons, and napping.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.