This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

With St. Louis weather, you never really know what’s going to happen. It could start out as 70 and sunny and then turn to cloudy skies and 60 within just a few hours. Or, it could do the complete opposite. Maybe it rains, who knows. Spending an entire day outside while still managing to look cute is enough of a challenge, but we also have to deal with this indecisive weather. Hard lives we lead, am I right? Here are some useful tips (with examples) for picking out the best WILD outfit that works with these uncertain weather conditions.

1. Layering- Layering is the best way to deal with iffy weather. Say it’s 65 when you start your day but it supposed to warm up in the afternoon. Pair shorts with a t-shirt and an open chambray or plaid shirt on top that you can easily tie around your waist. If it stays chilly, you’ll be comfortable, but if it warms up like it is supposed to, you can get rid of a layer to cool down. Vests are also a great option for those awkward, in-between temperatures.

Penfield Wayland Denim Trail Shirt (Madewell.com)

Penfield Haverhill Flannel Shirt (Madewell.com)

Sea Denim & Shearling Hooded Vest (Shopbop.com)

2. Outdoor shoes- Definitely don’t wear your cutest, nicest pair of shoes. I have found that boots made for the rain or outdoor activities are the best choice. Bottom line: if ruining this pair of boots will also ruin your life, don’t wear them. It can get pretty muddy, especially if there’s an unexpected shower. Low or high top sneakers work well too, as long as you don’t mind if they get muddy.

Loeffler Randall Black Rain Laceup Wedge Ankle Boots (Lyst.com)

3. Versatile bottoms- Depending on the temperature, wear bottoms that won’t keep you too warm or allow you to get too chilly. For example, cropped jeans or leggings, or if it’s warmer, shorts paired with lace-up boots. I definitely would suggest not wearing a skirt or a dress. It can get pretty crowded in the mosh pit during the performance and you do not want that dress or skirt getting caught on something… I’m pretty sure flashing the audience would put a damper on your WILD.

Rivet & Thread Worker Jeans in Seablue Wash (Madewell.com)

Skinny Skinny Ankle Jeans in Camo (Madewell.com)

4. COMFORT- Keep it comfortable! Remember- you’re going to be out and about all day, and you’re going to want to be comfy. That means avoiding skintight tops, uncomfortable shoes (no, the cuteness is not worth the discomfort), and anything too heavy. A comfy girl is a happy girl. Trust me.  

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.