Ethan Susseles 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Interested in boys with a promising career? How about a guy that can make you laugh 2 hours away in Whispers? Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Ethan Susseles, who’s a great mix of business and pleasure.

Name: Ethan Susseles
Hometown: Bethesda, Maryland
Major: Political Science and Marketing
Relationship Status: Single
Campus Involvement: Kappa Sigma
Hobbies and interests: Regular Coke drinker, loves building facades for Thurtene, special affinity for building doors, politics, baseball, lacrosse, mountain biking
Favorite food: Chinese food: beef & broccoli
Favorite TV shows: Law and Order SVU, Daily Show, 24
Favorite word: juxtapose
Favorite Childhood show: Rocket Power

You used to race mountain bikes, how did you get into it?
I used to work at a bike store and I used to do dirt jumps all the time around there.

How long did you race for?
2 years when I was 15 and 16.

Wow. I don’t even know what a mountain bike race is. Could you describe it for me?
 You ride a chairlift to the top of the mountain and then you do practice runs all day and when the time comes, you race against the clock for the best time.

Where did you do it?
Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia.

Why did you stop?
I had another job. I was working for the Obama campaign.

Was that your first job with politics?
No, my first campaign was when I was 11. It was for Congress and the campaign was very successful.

Is your family really involved in politics?
No, not really. My first campaign was really intense though. It was fist time we could win back the Democratic seat in a decade and my mom encouraged (dragged) me to come out with her and help her knock on people’s doors and stuff envelopes. I didn’t really get involved until 2008.

So what are you doing now?
I have been working for about 5 months as a staffer on a campaign for a statewide elected official of Missouri.

That’s so cool. What’s your favorite thing about the job?
It’s very dynamic and I get to work on different things each day like fundraising, new media, political outreach.

So do see yourself entering a role politics in the future?
I plan on working in politics, but not running for office. Ideally I’d like to do consulting for some sort of elected official.

Do you have any plans for studying abroad?
No, but I’m taking off first semester senior year to work on the 2012 campaign.

What is your favorite thing about WashU?
I meet so many diverse people each day and it’s great. I mean, my roommate next year’s from North Dakota….

What’s your favorite pick up line that you would never use?
I lost my teddy bear. Can I sleep with you tonight? (totally stole that from me!)

Who would play you in the movie version of your life?
Somebody who’s serious and fun loving. Someone like Brantford Winstonworth (unfamilar with this guy? Check out Ethan’s favorite YouTube video!)

If you could switch the bunny statue on campus with something else for a day, what would it be?
I would make it a Quizno’s to compete with Subway. No, I would make it a NYC hotdog vendor. No, I’d make it a second bunny, because everyone needs a friend.