Debate Sixteen: How will it impact your life?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

In case you missed the couple hundred signs that have taken over campus, the much anticipated second presidential debate is this Sunday. Since the announcement was made last fall that Wash U would host the debate, campus has been buzzing with political activity. In addition to all the excitement, the debate also brings a great deal of security measures which will interfere with daily life.

The Wall

giphy.com

Your wish is our command, Mr. Trump. The first noticeable security measure taken was the giant wall which begins at Simon parking lot and stretches past Seigle Hall to Upper Row. The wall is really a large metal fence and it effectively restricts access to the Sumers Rec Center, where the debate will take place. Legend has it that two students tried to climb the fence earlier this week. It wasn’t until they landed on the other side that the floodlights came on and the cops came out. Moral of the story: don’t try to climb the wall.

Road Closures

Following the wall, it was revealed via email that essentially every main road surrounding campus would be shut the day of the debate. Forsyth from Skinker to Big Bend and Big Bend from Wydown to Forest Park. This limits access to both the South 40 and the Village to one entry and exit point each. This only exacerbates the fenced in feeling created by the wall.

IDs, Guests, and Deliveries

giphy.com

The other security protocols include a requirement to show a WashU ID or a driver’s license at various security checkpoints, a no guest policy for the weekend, and no food deliveries on Sunday. No mates and no Postmates. All of this is completely reasonable but that doesn’t mean it isn’t still upsetting. Particularly the restriction on food deliveries. Since approximately four students will be able to attend the debate and most of us will be watching from our couches, it would have been nice to be able to order in some pizza or lo mein to accompany the entertainment.

giphy.com

Don’t let these minor (or major) interferences take away from the excitement of this historic weekend. There are various events and spectacles from Friday to Sunday and the campus is completely packed, lit up, and alive! Added bonus: MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN will be broadcasting live on campus which means this is our chance at fifteen seconds of fame! You don’t want to miss that opportunity.

Fanny Wolfowitz is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis. She loves Kanye West, her sweet sweet puppy Charlie, and the Mets.
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.