Chatting With Sarah About Voter Registration on Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

A chat with Sarah Herbsman:

What is your involvement with Wash U votes and how did you come to be involved?

WashU Votes is comprised of four different teams: Student Group Funding, Events, Voter Engagement and Registration, and Marketing and Communications. I became involved with the Voter Engagement and Registration Team in April when the group was formed because I am passionate about civic dialogue on our campus. Our team wants to convert the excitement surrounding the debate into actual voter turnout on November 8th!

Why are you so passionate about voter registration?

I believe It is our responsibility as citizens and students to vote. 18-24 year olds have the lowest turnout rate even though we can make a big difference in the polls. For the majority of college students this is also the first time we can vote in a presidential election – pretty exciting!!!

How easy is it to register? Where should I go if I want to? Can I vote in Missouri?

Very easy! WashU has partnered with TurboVote to make the process as straight-forward as possible. WashU students can vote in Missouri if they are a US Citizen and will be 18 years old by Election Day.  If you are registered in another state you can obtain an absentee ballot or switch your registration to Missouri and vote right on campus. Visit https://wustl.turbovote.org/register. Preferably use a tablet/iPad/smart phone or any touchscreen device that can capture a signature so you can avoid paper forms and complete the process entirely online!

Who are you voting for and why?

Tom Howe. ha kidding. Since I was deputized by the St. Louis County Election Board to register people to vote I cannot answer this question!

What is your favorite (or least favorite) Donald Trump quote?

“All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”

Where can we find more information if we have questions or want to get involved?

Visit http://washuvotes.wustl.edu/ or email washuvotes@wustl.edu.

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.
Lizzie is a sophomore, majoring in Film and Poli Sci at Wash U. She loves sloths, pizza, Tina Fey, and pizza!