Charlotte Gordon (2016)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

For those of you who don’t already know this fashionable blonde bombshell, learn fast. As if she wasn’t already famous enough, Charlotte Gordon recently began selling her chic jewelry via Instagram and it’s been a huge hit – girls all over WUSTL are pining for her next piece to debut.

Name: Charlotte Gordon

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology

Minor: Communication Design

Company Instagram: charlottegordonjewelry

When and how did you start making jewelry? I guess I first became interested in jewelry making during my family’s annual trips to San Diego and this one bead shop every summer growing up. But, I actually learned more about the wire wrap stuff, which I focus on now, in a summer camp going into fourth grade. I liked making random pieces every now and then and eventually I started to get more serious about learning intricate wire-wrap in 10th grade of high school. 

What is your inspiration? I’m definitely inspired by naturally occurring color combinations: sunsets, beaches, forests etc… and I’m also very inspired by middle-eastern mosaic patterns and retro 60s turquoise and silver pieces. 

How would you describe the style of your jewelry? I would say I specialize in wire wrap leather chokers and drop earrings, but I love to play around with funky hoops and statement necklaces. I love jewelry and for me, every piece I wear is special and unique. I try to get that appreciation for hands on craftsmanship to my customers. 

How does your own style influence your designs? I wear mostly vintage and used clothing. There’s something about finding an article of clothing that no one has which makes it special and all of my pieces are one-of-a-kind like that. Many of the pendants and stones I use are found items or from vintage pieces. I love to take apart old jewelry and re-imagine a use for the stones. 

What type of girl do you envision wearing your jewelry when you make it? Someone who likes to play around with some funky wire wrap jewelry. 

If you could have one celebrity customer, who would it be? Hmm that’s a hard one…any customer who feels great when wearing any of my stuff is enough for me. 

Do you plan on expanding the business? I definitely want to expand but at this point I’m starting to sell with friends and family and people through my Instagram. When I have more merchandise I plan to start an Etsy page but for the time being Instagram seems like the best medium because I only have a few one-of-a-kind pieces.

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.