Campus Style: Morgan Loewith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Name: Morgan Loewith
Home Town: Scottsdale, AZ
Class of: 2012

AH: What are you currently wearing?
ML: I’m currently wearing a dress from Free People, a Levi’s denim jacket, and some sandals that I’ve had for a long time. My sunglasses are Shwoods, and are handmade from Oregon. I’ve broken them so many times and have had to superglue them back together, but that’s the thing about wood – it’s fragile and breaks! My cool, fun, snake earrings are from Anthropologie, my current employer, and my bracelet is from Lucky Brand. My rings were two presents from my bat mitzvah, and my watch is my brother’s old Swiss Army watch. My necklace is from Tiffany’s and was a high school graduation present. I don’t really buy a lot of jewelry for myself…

AH: Those sunglasses are really cool. Is any of that something you wear every day?
ML: Yeah, I wear the Shwoods sunglasses pretty much every day, even when it’s cloudy.  I wear my bat mitzvah rings every day, and I never take my earrings off. And I always wear the necklace.

AH: How would you describe your style?
ML: I really like wearing unique things. I don’t like having things that other people have, and I’m sure that everybody else says that too, but I really like odd items and things that have a history to them. But you can’t subsist only on vintage-y, weird items, so the other things that fill out my collection are from Urban, Free People, and Anthro. Kind of like hippie-bohemian style, I guess.

AH: Has your style been shaped by any particular experience?
ML: Definitely working at Anthro has helped shaped my style, but it’s also helped in surprising ways. Even from my co-workers, I get inspiration and different ideas for how to style certain things. So that was really good too, because it’s helped me become more inventive about how to dress.

AH: Do you find that most of your friends put effort into their style?
ML: Yes, for the most part, my friends are not slovenly, homeless people. They do put effort into their style, and it’s probably a lot easier for them though because they don’t have all the indecisiveness that I tend to have about clothes. They’re just like, “This is what I’m going to wear today,” and it still looks really good on them. I think I actually change outfits three times a day for no reason. I’m not even trying to sound like this, but I have way too many clothes. I’ve been to Avalon Exchange multiple times this year to sell some of my clothes because I keep looking in my closet and realizing that I haven’t worn any of these things in six months, so then I go sell them!

AH: Since you’re a senior and this is your last semester at WashU, have you found that your style has changed a lot over these past four years?
ML: I mean, I didn’t really dress all that nicely until I got my job at Anthropologie sophomore year. I always loved clothes, but it was always that I could never afford them. Having a part-time job has definitely helped, and having a sick 40% discount has also helped expand my wardrobe choices considerably. You see people around here who go to class wearing gym shorts and sweats, and I definitely used to be one of those people, but now I’d much rather take the time to look presentable for class than to just make the statement with my clothes saying, “Hey, I just rolled out of bed and I don’t care about the world.” I’m really indecisive when I pick out clothing in the morning, and the problem with owning too many clothes is that it makes being indecisive even worse, because you have way too many options. So, I really like dresses. The best thing about them is you just put them on and then your outfit is down. You don’t have to match your shirt to your shorts, or a sweater to your pants. It’s one and done. Boom: outfit.  

AH: That is very true! Okay, final question: what does style mean to you?
ML: I’m sure everybody says this, but it’s really about expressing yourself. You are what you wear. Your clothes are the first thing that people see about you, so style really is the ultimate way that you can portray who you really want to be.