Campus Celebrity: Justin Blau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Justin Blau, also known as DJ 3LAU, survives on Guru energy drinks and Illy mini coffees. You can’t blame him for his caffeine addiction when he has a show in Nashville on Thursday, another show on Saturday at Mizzou, and three exams on Monday. Wondering about his alias, 3LAU? Well, first off, it’s pronounced Blau and basically, it’s Google-able. We all saw him at WILD, but I don’t think any of us really understand how much his career has really taken off.  Read on so that years from now, you can say that you-knew-him-when.

Where are you from? Las Vegas, NV.
What are you studying in school? Finance.
When did you first start DJing? The summer of 2010. I went with my friend Johan to Sweden and we toured around the club scene. I remember thinking, “Holy shit! This is a different world!” I had never experienced it in America – the music was awesome, the vibe was awesome. It was something I wanted to do! January of 2011 is when I produced my first song.
Can you explain the difference between producing and DJing? A DJ is someone who plays music at a club – they don’t necessarily make their own music. “DJ” is a term for live music, whereas “producer” is a term for recorded music. I have a studio and in my studio I make my music in software and then I record it and then export it to an mp3 file. Making a mash-up is not just taking two songs and putting them together; I’m doing a lot of work behind the scenes to make the music fit.
What musical artists influence you? Deadmau5, Avicii, Porter Robinson.
What inspires you? When I actually go to produce music, I have to have nothing else on my mind. I will sit down in a dark room and say to myself that I need to finish a track in the next five hours. I’ll bang it out and then I’ll come back later, maybe the next day, and look at it again. I am inspired by listening to my favorite artists and hearing the intricacies of what they do.
Where do you produce your mash-ups? In my room. I have a MAC, a big screen monitor, a synthesizer, a keyboard, two different audio interfaces and a mixing monitor. Whatever money we make from shows, I usually spend back out on equipment.
How do you decide when a song is finished?  It takes a really long time to know when it is finished. First I lay down a musical sketch and then I show it around to a few friends to find out what they think. Next I will listen to it 200-300 times and then I will compare it to other similar music – if it has the same loudness, if it hits as hard. When that balance is perfect, I’ll release it.
Tell me about performing. It’s kind of like you’re on a roller coaster in a way. There’s build-up and then the crowd goes crazy in the drop and you can feel the momentum of the crowd. It’s a rush, it’s a real rush. It’s a high. It’s awesome.
Where else have you performed? Where do you hope to perform? One of my favorite shows was at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. It seemed like every single person in the fraternity and sorority had an idea about who I was. The weekend after next, October 8th, I’m going to UNC Chapel Hill. After that, I’m going to SMU Dallas and then Georgetown for their Halloween party. Ruby Sky is this club in San Francisco that my agent is trying to book. That would be the next level. I’d like to play some festivals – Ultra and EDC [Electronic Daisy Carnival].
How did you get involved with FratMusic.com [Justin is the website’s official House DJ]? The owner started posting my music so I emailed him and asked to be involved in any way that I could. He offered to give me my own station and now I am getting interns who will research the hottest new music so I don’t have to do that myself. FratMusic is great – it’s such an easy alternative for frats or sororities, you can just flip it on and it will always be great music. The quality control is already there.
What is the biggest challenge that new DJs face?  The biggest challenge is not even getting your name out there. The challenge is to consistently make amazing music, to always one up yourself. Even if you make one great song, the fans are expecting something better next time. The music is the core. Good music rises.
Where do you see yourself in ten years? In ten years I would love to be living in California, traveling on weekends, and playing shows. Soon, I’m going to start singing over my tracks, similarly to Calvin Harris. I really want to start incorporating some of my own vocals over my tracks: Avicii meets American pop music. I want to be up on stage with my DJ equipment and sing. No one really does that and I am hoping that will set me apart.

Want more? Check out Justin’s website www.3lau.com or follow him on Twitter @DJ3LAU. Click here to see him performing at Georgia Tech. 

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.