Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Wash U Blog

3 Halloween Activities to Try in St. Louis

By Becca Manning
October 28, 2014 - 12:52pm

With Halloween just around the corner, what better way to get into the spirit than by joining in the local St. Louis festivities? Living in the middle of a metropolitan area means endless activities to try, so take advantage of them this Halloween! From traditional trick-or-treating to a visiting a spooky graveyard, the possibilities are endless.  Read on to hear our top three picks. READ MORE

How to Prep for WILD

By Carly Pascal
October 24, 2014 - 1:59am

It’s that time of the semester again. Yup, you get to Walk In, Lay Down (preferably on the blow up couches) while sipping on your boxed water. But before you have the time of your life at WILD, here are a few tips on what to do to prepare for the greatest day of the semester. Happy WILD to all, and to all a good night!  Listen to Icona Pop and Griz: “I Love It” isn’t their only song! They have some great other ones, like “All Night” and “Girlfriend.” Seriously, these songs are so catchy. You won’t be able to get them out of your head. Put these on your go-to playlist, because you will want to be able to sing and dance along with the duo. Extra points if you know all the words to Griz’s songs. READ MORE

5 Activities for Fall Break in STL

By Sara Bower
October 15, 2014 - 4:30pm

Fall Break is kind of a rip-off. I mean, doesn’t everyone try their hardest to avoid scheduling Friday classes in the first place? Still, if you try to remain positive, it can be an ideal opportunity to get away or to unwind after a stressful week of midterms. If you’re staying in STL this weekend, try to put that extra day off to good use.   READ MORE

5 Reasons We Love Her Campus Survival Kits

By Sydney Davis
October 10, 2014 - 1:30pm

There are few things I love more than receiving a giant box full of free stuff. Am I right, or am I right? Her Campus killed the game with this year's Survial Kits. From mini Luna bars, to Chipotle gift cards, to underwear in tiny cupcake containers (yeah, you heard me), we are fully stocked and ready to take on midterms! In honor of this ~amazing~ collection of goodies (see pic below), here are 5 solid reasons why we are obsessed with our survival kit. READ MORE

5 Ways to Maximize Instagram Likes

By Chloe Baker
October 7, 2014 - 11:21pm

The moment you press "share" on Instagram is the beginning of an anxiety-filled journey. Several minutes go by, yet still 0 likes. You contemplate deleting the picture to save yourself the misery, but decide to wait it out to see what happens. 30 minutes pass and you haven't even hit double digits. You think to yourself, "Do I not look super hot here?" or "Does this food not look drool-worthy?" As much of a textbook "first world problem" as this is, girls wait by their phones and always yearn to hit their next goal, whether it's 20 likes or 200. With these tips under your belt, you'll hit that elusive number of likes you've been anxiously waiting for. READ MORE

A Girl's Worst Nightmare: 6 Moments Where the Struggle is Real

By Becki Zeuner
October 6, 2014 - 1:40pm

There is nothing worse than the realization that your life as a female has automatically placed you into an entire realm of daily struggles. From something as simple as walking to class to strolling through the South 40, there is a whole variety of paralyzing moments that a girl can experience. While the acknowledgement of these nightmares will in no way prevent them, at least you’ll feel less alone the next time your heart drops to the floor. READ MORE

The 6 Yik Yaks You See on Wash U's "Hot" Page

By Leah Robinson
October 5, 2014 - 2:01am

1. The "I aged five years in the time it took to get my food" Yik Yak READ MORE

7 Definitive Rules for Late-Night Eating

By Lace Nguyen
September 27, 2014 - 10:19pm

1. You shall not judge others in line: It’s often easy to imagine that we’re better than the collective sweat-wearing, stressed-out mass of desperate students waiting in line at the Bear’s Den Grill. We’re not like others, we’re classy and only dabble in sweet, fatty luxury with extended pinky fingers. At the end of the day (literally), we are all the same. The second we put that box of fried food down to feast on various unrecognizable animal parts, we have agreed to forfeit our right to judge.  Photo by Katie Calder (@Tasty_KC) READ MORE

5 Things to Do Before Winter Hits

By Gabi Stone
September 19, 2014 - 9:34pm

90 degrees one day, 70 degrees the next, rainy, sunny, and everything in between – St. Louis weather is many things, but consistent is not one of them. But before those sunny, warm days disappear for good, make sure to head outside and check these seasonal to-dos off of your list before it’s too late. 1. Paddle Boating in Forest Park: We all know that Art Hill is the ideal warm weather spot for Wash U students, but just at the bottom of the hill, there is an artificial lake with paddleboats at your disposal. Grab a friend and chill out on the water before rentals stop in October. Click here to learn more! READ MORE

6 Tips for Late Night Snacking

By Emily Erani
September 12, 2014 - 8:35pm

As Wash U students, countless times do we crave the perfect snack just to get us through a long night of studying. We need the energy to stay awake, so we give into coffee and sugar. Try out these healthy alternatives that can boost your energy without keeping you up all night! 1. Fruit is the way: Applesauce cups and fruit leather are two easily transported snacks to throw in your bag before you hit the lib. Citrus fruits are particularly are rich in vitamin C, provide lots of energy, and improve alertness. If you're being especially lazy and don't feel like dealing with whole fruit (I've been there), grab a pack of Dole fruit cups next time you're at the grocery store. READ MORE