Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Wash U Blog

Trader Joe's Brings Their A Game: 6 Hot New Products

By Sydney Davis
September 18, 2014 - 2:14pm

We all know good old Trader Joe is the man when it comes to ridiculously tasty and inexpensive snacks. As of late, he's been killing it with tons of new additions that almost seem too good to be true. Whether you’re looking for sweet or salty, snacktime or mealtime, try stocking your kitchen with these 6 hot new products: READ MORE

6 Tips for Late Night Snacking

By Emily Erani
September 12, 2014 - 8:35pm

As Wash U students, countless times do we crave the perfect snack just to get us through a long night of studying. We need the energy to stay awake, so we give into coffee and sugar. Try out these healthy alternatives that can boost your energy without keeping you up all night! 1. Fruit is the way: Applesauce cups and fruit leather are two easily transported snacks to throw in your bag before you hit the lib. Citrus fruits are particularly are rich in vitamin C, provide lots of energy, and improve alertness. If you're being especially lazy and don't feel like dealing with whole fruit (I've been there), grab a pack of Dole fruit cups next time you're at the grocery store. READ MORE

6 Jams You Should Listen to Immediately

By Chloe Baker
September 11, 2014 - 11:55am

It's easy to check out iTune's Top 10 each week, but how often do we actually want those 10 tracks on one of our many playlists? Usually, I consider myself lucky if I like one song. Add these six tracks to your iPod- you won't regret it. Space Jam by Audio Push ft. Lil’ Wayne: The movie Space Jam may have been released almost 20 years ago but I’m sorry, it’s hard to resist anything related to this work of art. From mixer themes to rush tanks, Space Jam still has a presence and with this pump up rap song, it’s even better than before. Personally, I think Audio Push and Lil’ Wayne kill it with the verses but I can’t help but wait for the chorus. READ MORE

How to Survive the St. Louis Heat

By Emily Erani
September 4, 2014 - 3:30pm

It is the start of a new school year and everyone is happy to be back on campus. However, the smoldering heat is more than just a conversation starter… It is truly a struggle to bear. Follow these tips for a way to escape the STL heat and survive the hottest days of the year: 1. Take a detour to class: Instead of walking outside, find an alternative route in an air-conditioned building. Bauer, the library, Mallinkrodt or the DUC are all great ways to avoid suffocating outdoors.  READ MORE

What To Do When There's a Tornado Warning

By Gabi Stone
September 3, 2014 - 12:59pm

On September 1st, Wash U was treated to the first tornado warning of the year. If you missed it (but, really, how could you?) don’t worry, as we’ve got an entire year for crazy Midwestern weather. Read on for some tips for what to do next time those sirens blast. Do: Know the difference between a tornado warning and watch, because one involves you getting out of bed, and one doesn’t. READ MORE

4 Ways to Stay in Touch This Summer

By Emily Erani
May 9, 2014 - 5:50pm

School is coming to an end and all of us are excited for the summer! With everyone adjusting to their new summer schedules and spending lots of time with their friends from home, it is easy to forget about making an effort to keep in touch with your college friends. Here are four easy ways to make sure you stay in touch. READ MORE

5 Summer Snacks for the Perfect Beach Day

By Chloe Baker
May 9, 2014 - 12:09pm

Throughout hours at Olin trying to avoid studying at all costs, lying out on a sandy beach with the sun beaming on your face was a daydream to hold onto. Now that the hell we call finals week has finally ended and we’ve packed up our rooms, this dream can finally turn into a reality. Even better than basking in the sun on the beach is basking on the beach with a snack in hand. Here are some of the best beach snacks for this summer. READ MORE

20 Things to Smile About (In No Particular Order)

By Sydney Davis
May 2, 2014 - 1:44pm

Final exams can be incredibly demanding and time-consuming, but it’s important to remember all the great things in life, especially the simple pleasures. My hope is that you come across at least one of these things in the next week to help ease your stress! Good luck everyone, especially with #20! READ MORE

5 Ways to Spice Up Your STL Summer

By Jessica Hyman
May 1, 2014 - 7:06pm

Yes, we do live in St. Louis for the majority of the year, but how many times have you actually followed through with your plans to explore the city? If you’re staying here for a summer internship, job, or research position you’ll finally have some of that free time we all desire throughout the year. Put it to good use by crossing off some of your St. Louis bucket list items and adding some new experiences to your college career.  Although we all love a good night out at Three Kings or the Goji Bowl at Seoul Taco, the city has more to bring us than just the Delmar loop. Here are some ways to spice up your summer through some new music, good eats, and summer vibes. READ MORE

6 Irritating Female Struggles (and How to Fix Them)

By Sydney Davis
April 26, 2014 - 10:25pm

This article may or may not be the definition of “first world problems,” but I guarantee that every girl reading this can relate to at least two of these daily struggles. Everyone has her own unique pet peeve that drives her absolutely crazy, but I think that these six parts of being a girl begin to cover the boundaries we must overcome each and every day. To go along with this very organized rant is a set of solutions that can bring us closer to conquering these problems like it ain’t no thang. READ MORE