Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Wash U Blog

6 Ways to Clear Your Mind for Finals

By Sydney Davis
April 18, 2014 - 4:43pm

Finals period seems to take over college students’ lives, making it difficult for us to think about anything else. While studying for hours and hours on end may seem like the best way to go, it’s both healthy and productive for students to take breaks to clear their minds and do something that they enjoy. Here are seven ways to clear your mind and take it easy amidst those brutal study marathons. READ MORE

9 Things You Learn from Being Abroad in London

By Sydney Davis
March 22, 2014 - 8:23pm

So, you’re going abroad to London and you’re like oh, I got this. The city is huge and full of life, the public transportation is great (Harrods is just a tube ride away) and of course, these people speak ENGLISH. While all these things are true, it is near impossible to anticipate the [quite amusing] challenges that you will come across when studying in the UK. From adjusting to seeing meat-flavored potato chips on the shelves (or as they call them in England, crisps), to crying about the exchange rate on a daily basis, you will undoubtedly learn a lot. In particular, there are nine things that I have realized (or realised*) during my time studying abroad in London. READ MORE

The Pros and Cons of Spring Break with your Family

By Gabi Stone
March 8, 2014 - 1:28pm

With midterms wrapping up and campus slowly emptying out, it’s clear that spring break is here. While there’s nothing more exciting than heading home for a week, it’s always important to remember that being home has its advantages and disadvantages. Read on Collegiettes, and see why the grass might be greener on the Danforth Campus: READ MORE

When at Wash U: Sorority Big/Little Week

By Gabi Stone
February 28, 2014 - 12:37pm

FULL DISCLOSURE: Big/Little week had to be one of the most glorious things that has ever happened in my life. If you’re a big, I’m sure it has to be the most stressful week of the year. Somehow, I suppose, those two balance each other out. The way it started for me, for those of you who are not involved in Greek life that I was matched up with a “big.” This mysterious sophomore spent a week showering me with gifts and love and poems and happiness. Every morning, I woke up outside my door to see the most fantastic displays known to man. READ MORE

Your Ultimate Netlfix Guide for Spring Break Entertainment

By Sydney Davis
February 23, 2014 - 9:58am

I don’t know about you, but one of the things I miss most during the chaos known as midterms is free time. Other than running and just hanging out with friends, one of the ways I wind down is with some good ol’ Netflix. I’m always looking for new suggestions for shows, documentaries, movies, or whatever else they’re putting on there these days. That being said, I have put together a list of the best stuff on Netflix, whether you’re spending snowy days at home, killing time in the airport, or just trying to keep yourself entertained. Thriller/Drama READ MORE

5 Delicious Valentine's Day Treats

By Sarah Goldberg
February 14, 2014 - 11:31am

Whether you’re spending Valentine’s day with a significant other, by yourself, or with your friends, there is no better way to get in the spirit then by eating all of the amazing treats! Try one or try all but for a good Valentine’s day you better get your sweet tooth on. 1) Heart sugar cookies Make these during a study break and don’t forget the sprinkles - the heart sugar cookie is a classic V-Day pick-me-up! 2) Truffles READ MORE

5 Fun Alternatives to the Estrogym

By Nicole Andrzejewski
February 2, 2014 - 8:49pm

Do you know that you should be working out, but can’t seem to get yourself to that dreaded elliptical machine?  We know the feeling, and we are here to help!  Here are some non-traditional workouts that will get you looking and feeling hot in that new bikini for spring break! 1)   Go for a lovely walk in Forest Park!  Grab your bestie, tie your sneakers, and enjoy the gorgeous views of St. Louis’s gem of a park. Between the beauty of art hill and the charm of the boathouse, you will forget you are even burning those calories!   READ MORE

3 Simple Ways to Get Organized for the New Semester

By rebeccamanning
January 29, 2014 - 9:24pm

As hard as it is to believe, second semester is upon us.  The first couple weeks of classes are probably pretty relaxing, but don’t forget that classes pick up quickly and by this time next week you may feel overwhelmed!  Avoid stressing out later by reading about these three ways to get organized for the spring semester. 1. Write important dates down READ MORE

A Girls’ Guide to the Top 8 Greatest Stress Relievers and Tips

By Sarah Goldberg
December 3, 2013 - 7:13pm

You’ve been working hard all semester and it all comes down to these last few weeks before finals. In order to keep sane, it is important to relax and focus. Both of these things are difficult to do when you are stressed out. Here are some easy stress relievers and tips that will keep you on task and feeling good during the dreaded finals period. READ MORE

5 Ways to Make the Most of Your Thanksgiving Break

By Chloe Baker
November 19, 2013 - 12:12am

It’s that time of the year! After several hellish weeks packed with midterms and essays galore, everyone’s counting down the days until Thanksgiving break. Good news: its finally just a week away! Between sleeping in your own bed and reuniting with friends and family you haven’t seen since summer, those five days are to be cherished. Here are some ideas of what you can do to make them days count! 1) Day trip to a nearby city READ MORE