Best Kept Secrets of St. Louis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

For many WashU students, moving to St. Louis can be a little daunting. It’s hard enough explaining to your friends and family that your college is in fact, in Missouri and not in Washington, but even harder than that is adjusting to a new city that you barely know anything about. The WashU bubble is a real thing, and if you’ve never explored the city, it’s hard to imagine anything out there past Kayak’s or the Loop. But if you’re new to St. Louis and want to explore the best that this city has to offer, you came to the right place- here are, in no particular order, the best kept secrets of St. Louis

1. The Missouri Botanical Gardens: St. Louis has one of the largest and most expansive botanical gardens, which is so fun to explore when the weather is nice. Head down to Tower Grove for a date, a relaxing walk, or even to get some pictures for your instagram (the gardens are full of colorful walls and flowers that are great photo-ops).

2. The City Museum: Embrace your inner child at the most fun adult playground in all of Missouri (and possibly the world?) Located downtown, the City Museum is basically a huge maze of slides, tunnels, and fun little spots to explore- but everything is totally adult-sized. It’s a great place to spend the day, and again, has a ton of great spots to take photos. There’s a three-story slide, a mini aquarium, a neon cafe, and even a rooftop ferris wheel!

3. The Loop: so yeah, you’ve been to the loop, but have you really been to the loop? Aside from nightly mission taco runs that most Washu students are somewhat familiar with, the loop has a ton to offer. Stop by Blueprint Coffee or Meshugga’s Cafe when there’s no space at Kayak’s, check out Vintage Vinyl for records, posters, and other fun stuff, and stop by Pitaya (a clothing store that actually takes bear bucks) or Avalon Exchange (a cool thrift shop) next time you feel the urge to shop. Overall, you’re never really done exploring the loop.

4. Soulard/Tower Grove Farmer’s Markets: Both of these farmer’s markets, which are located in the mentioned locations, are an amazing place to buy gifts, grab delicious fresh food and drink, and grab some groceries from local vendors. The Soulard Market sells produce, as well as delicious snacks like donuts and funnel cakes, while at Tower Grove you can eat fresh crepes, baked goods, and even do sunrise yoga. Both happen during the spring, so this semester would be a perfect time to check them out.

By Ella Faust

Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.