Aviva Mann (2017)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Aviva Mann may seem like your typical freshman making her way through her first semester of college, but she is far from typical. Aviva has just released her very first album, Sugar and Dye, available now on her website avivamann.bandcamp.com. You may want to get to know her now before she’s too famous to remember any of us here at Wash U because she’s the next Sara Bareilles.

Name: Aviva Mann

Claim to fame: Up and coming indie music artist

Hometown: Philadelphia, PA

Year: Freshman

Major: Psychology and Communication Design

How did you get into music? I learned to play guitar in middle school and always loved singing. I started to put together my own melodies. I learned more about music in high school through a capella and music theory class. Senior year I took a songwriting class with a man in my area at his home studio. He later became my mentor and producer. Over my senior year we created my album, Sugar and Dye.

Where did the album title come from? One time in the studio I was eating Twizzlers Pull n Peels, my favorite. My producer said to me “It’s all sugar and dye”. Looking at the album as a whole the songs were about seemingly good times in high school, with boyfriends and friends, all tinged with a little bit of under riding sadness. 

What’s your favorite song on the album? It changes but each one means a lot to me, and I like that each song’s meaning changes for me over time. “Untied” was first one I ever wrote and “United” was the last, so they are both particularly important to me.

Who inspires you musically? Ingrid Michaelson or basically any guilty pleasure female pop singer-songwriter inspires me.  I am also really inspired by Americana music, which is a mix between folk and country. Folksy, rootsy tribal. I also love the Civil Wars, Fleetwood Mac and John

Tell me about the band you are in on campus. It isn’t very legit or formal yet but I am just trying to find people to jam with here. So far we have a guitarist, a violinist, and a drummer. Looking for a male bassist or keyboard that can sing. We’re definitely just taking it slow and hopefully it will develop. Look for our look for videos on Facebook!  

Dream collaboration? Definitely John Mayer or Edward Sharpe. I’m a sucker for boy girl duets.