Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Wash U Archives

Jordan Finkelstein (2016)

By Becca Manning
September 20, 2014 - 1:15pm

With the recent announcement of the Fall WILD artist, some of you may be curious about who actually picks these performers and puts together our phenomenal WILD concerts.  Meet one of the main men behind it all, Jordan Finkelstein.  Besides being notorious for his sassy humor and wit, Jordan is currently the president of Social Programming Board (SPB), the student organization that plans WILD, Gargoyle concerts, comedy shows, and numerous other events around campus. Basically, he’s kind of a big deal. Year: Junior READ MORE

5 Things to Do Before Winter Hits

By Gabi Stone
September 19, 2014 - 9:34pm

90 degrees one day, 70 degrees the next, rainy, sunny, and everything in between – St. Louis weather is many things, but consistent is not one of them. But before those sunny, warm days disappear for good, make sure to head outside and check these seasonal to-dos off of your list before it’s too late. 1. Paddle Boating in Forest Park: We all know that Art Hill is the ideal warm weather spot for Wash U students, but just at the bottom of the hill, there is an artificial lake with paddleboats at your disposal. Grab a friend and chill out on the water before rentals stop in October. Click here to learn more! READ MORE

7 Must-Try Autumn Trends

By Lace Nguyen
September 18, 2014 - 3:35pm

St. Louis weather is full of eccentricities, so it comes as no surprise that the temperature could dramatically drop while we’re still not over short shorts and Wayfarers. Is that a problem? Absolutely not, because let's face it: fall fashion is the best. How can you not get absurdly excited about oversized sweaters, motorcycle jackets and ankle boots? So, after months of sweat, heat and sleepless summer nights, it's nice to just wrap yourself in layers and knits and enjoy the falling leaves with these must-have trends. READ MORE

Shwayze in the Gargoyle

By Chloe Baker
September 18, 2014 - 3:28pm

A free concert in the Gargoyle being brought to campus by SPB is a common occurrence, but to have a top artist? That’s a day-maker. Chill rap artist Shwayze will be coming to campus with backup DJ set, BVille, Thursday, September 25th, at 8:00 pm. Famous for singing “Buzzin’” and “Corona and Lime,” Shwayze has been off the radar for the past few years but is expected to bring a bumping set to WUSTL. Icona Pop, get nervous. Shwayze might be a hard act to follow for WILD. tunestub.com     READ MORE

Trader Joe's Brings Their A Game: 6 Hot New Products

By Sydney Davis
September 18, 2014 - 2:14pm

We all know good old Trader Joe is the man when it comes to ridiculously tasty and inexpensive snacks. As of late, he's been killing it with tons of new additions that almost seem too good to be true. Whether you’re looking for sweet or salty, snacktime or mealtime, try stocking your kitchen with these 6 hot new products: READ MORE

Conor Homscheid (2015)

By Jessica Hyman
September 13, 2014 - 8:22pm

Ladies, ladies, ladies- meet your dream boy. Hailing from the Northeast, Conor is the guy you've been waiting for. He's wordly- a solid mix of British and American who can serenade you with an Aussie accent... triple threat or what? He's the friendliest boy around; I'm pretty sure he high-fived every single person at LouFest. And he's smart- check out those majors below. Already think he's too good to be true? Read on, because this senior babe also happens to be single. Did I just make your day? READ MORE

6 Tips for Late Night Snacking

By Emily Erani
September 12, 2014 - 8:35pm

As Wash U students, countless times do we crave the perfect snack just to get us through a long night of studying. We need the energy to stay awake, so we give into coffee and sugar. Try out these healthy alternatives that can boost your energy without keeping you up all night! 1. Fruit is the way: Applesauce cups and fruit leather are two easily transported snacks to throw in your bag before you hit the lib. Citrus fruits are particularly are rich in vitamin C, provide lots of energy, and improve alertness. If you're being especially lazy and don't feel like dealing with whole fruit (I've been there), grab a pack of Dole fruit cups next time you're at the grocery store. READ MORE

6 Fashion Tips for Unpredictable Weather

By Sydney Davis
September 11, 2014 - 3:25pm

Sometimes, I just want to shout, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” at the gloomy St. Louis sky. Is it raining, is it 98°, is a tornado about to touch down? Who really knows anymore? With the ever-changing weather, choosing your outfit each morning can be nearly impossible, especially as fall approaches. Instead of accepting the fact that you’ll either be too cold or too hot, remember these tips when you stare blankly at your closet before your 10am class. READ MORE

6 Jams You Should Listen to Immediately

By Chloe Baker
September 11, 2014 - 11:55am

It's easy to check out iTune's Top 10 each week, but how often do we actually want those 10 tracks on one of our many playlists? Usually, I consider myself lucky if I like one song. Add these six tracks to your iPod- you won't regret it. Space Jam by Audio Push ft. Lil’ Wayne: The movie Space Jam may have been released almost 20 years ago but I’m sorry, it’s hard to resist anything related to this work of art. From mixer themes to rush tanks, Space Jam still has a presence and with this pump up rap song, it’s even better than before. Personally, I think Audio Push and Lil’ Wayne kill it with the verses but I can’t help but wait for the chorus. READ MORE

5 Types of FOMO Every Freshman Experiences

By Rachel Shaiman
September 11, 2014 - 9:56am

Ah, freshman year. New places, new people, new classes to stress about. Although if you’re anything like me, the classes haven’t been nearly as stressful as the idea of completely starting over. The last time I experienced this much FOMO (fear of missing out) was in eighth grade when all of my friends successfully snuck past security at a Justin Bieber concert. I still remember squinting from the nosebleed seats while they all shoved their way to the front row. From Snapchats to group chats, freshman girls are prone to catching a case of FOMO at anytime and anywhere, so don’t panic when anxiety strikes. We're all in this together. READ MORE