timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Entertain Yourself During Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

We all have that one friend who has a grand total of one final to study for and she probably hasn’t let you hear the end of it while you mentally compute how you’re going to study for five exams and write two papers. Or maybe YOU’RE that friend. If you’re that girl who has this whole week ahead of them with nothing to do but ponder life and listen to music dramatically in a hammock, here are seven whole things you can do with that enviable free time.

1. Eat every meal – including snacks – off campus for a day: 

• Hit up Winslow’s for breakfast
  • Make it back to the Loop for Seoul Taco for lunch
  • Stroll down the street to FroYo for a snack
  • Head over to Pastaria for dinner
  • Walk off those risotto balls with another leisurely stroll back to the Loop for Ben & Jerry’s

Photo courtesy of Jennifer Silverberg, Riverfront Times

2. Take a trip to CVS in Clayton to get your errands done then walk across the street to wander around the Galleria: Remember to bring your ID! There’s a curfew and they have to check to make sure you’re 16 or older. Look both ways before crossing the busy street. This is an important one!

americaspremiereshoppingplaces.com

3. Go to the movie theater and have a real movie watching experience complete with popcorn and candy instead of sitting in bed on Netflix with stir fry from BD: Hit up The Longest Ride or Unfriended (if you’re brave enough!) Theaters around campus include:

• Tivoli (Delmar Loop)
  • AMC Esquire 7 (intersection of Clayton and Big Bend right by Schnucks)
  • Chase Park Plaza Cinemas (Central West End)
  • Landmark Theaters (Plaza Frontenac)

impawards.com

4. Design apparel for your sorority/student group for next year: You’d be surprised how time consuming this can be. Check out somethinggreek.com to try several different design

somethinggreek.com

5. Try – and fail – to make an Ibby’s reservation for any time within the next 48 hours. Proceed to blow up your group chat going back and forth about when everyone is free within the next week: ​If you’re sticking around after finals, you’re in luck!

opentable.com

6. Finally go get your nails and/or eyebrows done: Pro tip- go around noon on a weekday to avoid crowds. The highlight of your trip will obviously be the comfy massage chairs and warm pedicure bowls. Check out this article for nail color ideas! 

yelp.com

7. Start shopping for décor for next year’s dorm or apartment: Check out Urban Outfitters, Dormify and Etsy for starters.

forevertwentysomethings.com

8. Remember that you actually need to study for that one final you have… STEP 1: Cram. STEP 2: Kill it.

gobuffs.io

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.