5 Ways to Make the Most of Your Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s that time of the year! After several hellish weeks packed with midterms and essays galore, everyone’s counting down the days until Thanksgiving break. Good news: its finally just a week away! Between sleeping in your own bed and reuniting with friends and family you haven’t seen since summer, those five days are to be cherished. Here are some ideas of what you can do to make them days count!

1) Day trip to a nearby city

Whether it’s New York, Chicago, or LA, a one-day adventure into the big city closest to you is a great change of scene. Browsing those wonderful holiday sales then spending the day eating your way through the city (Baked By Melissa, anyone?) is the perfect way to catch up with old friends while getting to experience a major city again for the first time in months.

2) Show off your maturity

Mom still treats you like you’re in diapers? Flaunt your laundry and cooking skills by taking charge of household chores for the day. Offer to do the laundry, clean the dishes and then prepare a delicious meal for the whole family. Mom will never ask you if you need to be signed up for WashU Wash again.

3) Act like a high schooler again

It feels like too long ago when your classic Saturday night was spent in an unfinished basement centered around one ping pong table and one can of beer with parents coming down every ten seconds to make sure everyone was alive. Thanksgiving break is the weekend you’ll get to relive this joyfully. PSA: As much as we wish ABC Cab existed in our hometowns, remember to ask mom or dad for a ride or assign someone to be designated driver.

4) Take a scenic drive

Every college student gets the urge to reach for their car keys to drive somewhere at least once a month. Some of the best conversations are spent in long, aimless drives. Grab a friend or family member who you haven’t caught up with in a while and take the most scenic route possible. Artsy Instagrams of beaches and parks are permitted.

5) Enjoy a family TV marathon

What’s better than watching five seasons of Sex and the City with your friends in your pajamas? Or a little Arrested Development with your family? Maybe raw cookie dough… but not much else. Let yourself be lazy… you deserve to relax on the couch after a tough semester and before you take on finals. 

Chloe is a sophomore in the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. She hails from Westport, Connecticut where she was Managing Editor of her high school's newspaper. She is an avid fan of ice cream, Sex and the City marathons, and napping.