The 5 New Songs You’ll Wish You Didn’t Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

I thought I left girl bands, Justin Bieber, and teeny bopper anthems behind in middle (okay maybe high) school, but my recent Spotify favorites prove otherwise. Despite my mild efforts to enjoy house music and the occasional EDM track, I just can’t resist the easy allure of music that is probably directed towards prepubescent teens. What can I say, I’ll always have a soft spot for anything that resemebles a Hannah Montana song…

1. What Do You Mean – Justin Bieber

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past month, you’ve seen every celebrity under the sun holding up a piece of paper with a countdown to the release of Justin Bieber’s new single, “What Do You Mean?” on Instagram. Much to my horror, I haven’t been able to get the teeny bopper’s painfully catchy song out of my head since its release. My 10th grade self would be disgusted with my nineteen year old self’s instinctive squeal of joy when this Justin Bieber tune comes on in frat basements. 

Listen

2. Love Myself – Hailee Steinfeld

Yup. It’s by that chick from Pitch Perfect 2. You’re going to want to hate this just from the title, but don’t judge it until you’ve sung along to it in a crowded taxi. The chorus has the exact kind of lyrics that you will never be able to get out of your head, no matter how hard you try to overwrite it with those rap songs that everyone seems to know all of the words to. 

Listen

3. Black Magic – Little Mix

If I’m being totally honest, I skipped this song every time it came up on Spotify for two weeks straight just based on the fact that it’s the product of a girl band. HOWEVER, once I actually gave it a listen, I got really into it. It’s everything you’d expect from a group comprised of a One Directioner’s ex-girlfriend and her crew, but that’s why it’s so good. Get ready to play this one on repeat much to the chagrin of your roommates. 

Listen

4. All Night Longer – Sammy Adams

This one has been a basic college girl’s go-to pregame song for years at this point, but I still feel just as unoriginal every time I play it now as I felt when I would add it to my “house party!” playlist in high school. In this song’s defense, the lyrics’ lack of complexity makes it very easy to sing along to, no matter how far deep into the night you are. 

Listen

5. Do It Again – Pia Mia

Yup. Do It Again is one of those girls that Kylie Jenner is always behaving recklessly with. I was really enjoying this easy hit when I was blindsided by that Jenner factoid, but I have somehow found a way to move past it. Kanye West’s prodigy is not too bad. The Guam beauty is pretty talented and you’ll find yourself singing along despite your best efforts, guaranteed.  

Listen

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.