5 Reasons Why November is the Best Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Disclaimer: I am a November baby, which is why I am a bit biased towards this month. There’s often a post-Halloween come down associated with this month, but we all know that can be cured by extremely early holiday shopping. So, if you’re still a believer that the 11th month of the year is just “meh”, here are my top 5 reasons why November is the hidden gem of the calendar.

1. Sweater weather is ACTUALLY here:  Though it may have been 80 degrees on the first day of November (thanks climate change), colder weather will soon be upon us, which means it will actually be time to break out our big cozy knit sweaters, leggings, and boots.

2. Election Day: Say what you will about this election, but November 8th is the day where we have the chance to make our voices heard and choose not only the future POTUS, but also take a stand on many groundbreaking propositions. So, whether you’re #withher or dying to make America great again, get out and VOTE.

3. Changing Leaves: Mother Nature’s way of reminding you to snap an instagram picture for all your loyal followers.

4. Thanksgiving (and Thanksgiving TV specials): While Thanksgiving is labeled as the day to be thankful for your friends and family, I find it to be more of an opportunity to be grateful to do my two favorite things: eat and watch TV. So, grab a turkey leg, watch Monica and Ross duke it out for the Geller Family Cup, and pretend not to hear your uncle ask you what you could ever possibly do with an English degree.

5. Black Friday: Whether you choose to partake in Black Friday shopping or not, it is undoubtedly a highlight of the month. While you may not actually find all the gifts for your bffs, it’s an experience to wake up at 3 am and force yourself to join a mob of anxious mothers who will actually take you down if you get in their way.

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.
Lizzie is a sophomore, majoring in Film and Poli Sci at Wash U. She loves sloths, pizza, Tina Fey, and pizza!