books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Questions to Expect Over Break (and How to Prepare for Them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

1. Have you been doing well in school?

Hercampus.com

One thing you learned during your first semester of college was that it’s a lot harder than anything you did in high school. So, naturally, you are probably not doing as well as you would like to be. At the same time, you’re not about to admit to this casual acquaintance that you have monthly mental breakdowns…

Your ambiguous answer: School has definitely been challenging, but my classes are super interesting and the professors are really great about helping students out! College is so intellectually stimulating, you know? (cue eye twitch from finals PTSD)

2. Do you know which sorority you want to be in?

Giphy.com

Maybe you do, maybe you don’t. You have your preconceived notions about all of the chapters and you think you know what your top choice is, but you can’t really know until you actually rush. Plus, the last thing you need right before recruitment is news getting around that you’re dying to be in a certain sorority that, in reality, you know very little about.

Your safest answer: I have a general idea, but I’m trying to keep an open mind. Honestly, anywhere that will take me! Ha, ha.

3. Soooooo, are you dating anyone?

Tumblr.com

You saw this one coming from a mile away. It’s usually from your mom or your grandmother, but there’s always that overly gossipy family friend who you somehow manage to run into every time you get a manicure.

Your coy answer: Haha, you know me, always the heartbreaker! Anyway, it was so nice seeing you but I need to get home so I can let my dog out. OR if it’s your grandma: Don’t worry, I’m keeping my eye out for a nice pre-med! Gotta go, love you, bye.

4. I saw you in a picture with (insert annoying mutual friend here), are you guys friends?!

coherentfangirlreviews.wordpress.com

Yes, you know (insert annoying mutual friend here), but if you’re being honest, you seriously cannot stand her. It’s taking every ounce of your willpower not to make a snide remark about how long her Snapchat stories are and how wrong your friend was when she predicted that you two would love each other.

Your reserved answer: Yeah, I don’t really see her that often so we aren’t that close but she seems super nice. 

5. Are you happy to be home?

Gifsoup.com

The only answer after the thrill of sleeping in your own bed and showering without flip-flops has worn off: GET ME BACK TO SCHOOL!!!!!!

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.