5 Netflix Movies to Watch Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

After finishing a brutal month of final exams, papers and projects, December break is the time to unwind and enjoy a very rare thing: no work whatsoever. In between the holiday parties and days of skiing, winter break is the perfect opportunity to binge watch movies and relish the free time that is so sparse during our Wash U careers. With just the typing of a few letters and the click of a mouse, here are some great movies that are currently featured on Netflix.

1. Crossroads: Britney Spears. The song “I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman.” Zoe Saldana. Pre-Orange is the New Black Taryn Manning. Need I say more? It might not have the highest IMDb rating (3.2/10 to be exact), but it’s endlessly entertaining.

Giphy.com

2. The Truman Show: Creepy and thought-provoking, but a solid movie nonetheless. Filmed in a time before reality TV shows like 16 and Pregnant and True Life existed, this movie offers an introspective view of the fascination we have with other people’s lives.

Giphy.com

3. Django Unchained: Critically acclaimed and featuring an all-star cast including Kerry Washington, Christopher Waltz and Jamie Foxx, this movie is classic Quentin Tarantino and you have to embrace it for that. The soundtrack enhances the insane plot and action scenes.

Giphy.com

4. The Breakfast Club: An absolute classic. I really wanted to dislike it since my first time watching was when I was forced by my 9th grade health teacher, but I couldn’t help but love it. This will definitely make you feel nostalgic about the good ‘ol high school days.

Giphy.com

5. Hitch: Though he might be upstaged by his daughter Willow these days, Will Smith is still a timeless comedic talent. His humor and suave romantic skills will make you instantly fall in love with him in this rom com.

Theloop.ca

Article cover photo via Facebook.com

Chloe is a sophomore in the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. She hails from Westport, Connecticut where she was Managing Editor of her high school's newspaper. She is an avid fan of ice cream, Sex and the City marathons, and napping.
Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.