4 Fabulous Valentine’s Day Specials (That Everyone Can Enjoy)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples anymore. Sure, a lot of the ads floating around encourage you to buy the perfect gift for “that special someone,” but who’s to say that “someone” has to be, well, someone else? As February 14 approaches, love is definitely in the air, but so are some great deals. Whether you’re rocking the bachelorette lifestyle or crazy in love, here are some fun, seasonal ways to take care of any spare change you can scrape together from the money your parents sent you back to school with.

1. Cupcakes: If you haven’t already been to The Cup in St. Louis’s Central West End, I would ask why you’re still sitting at your computer. But, whether you’ve already tasted their famous buttercream or not, you should know that they really pull out all the stops for Valentine’s Day. February specials include Strawberry, Raspberry, and the limited edition “Ruby,” a blend of strawberry and red velvet cake topped with an adorable candy heart. A huge part of Valentine’s Day (or any day) is satisfying your sweet tooth, and these cupcakes are definitely the way to go!
  1. Culture: St. Louis’s Contemporary Art Museum (CAM) has a special Valentine’s Day event on Saturday, February 16, complete with artist-led workshops, a raffle, and more. Best of all, there’s free admission all day! So, maybe hold off on another tear-inducing viewing of The Notebook (we’ve all been there), and spend your day off campus soaking up that contemporary culture, including the latest exhibition of London-born Jeremy Deller’s Joy in People.
  1. Spa Day: Admittedly, most dorm rooms don’t come with a bathtub for long, luxurious soaks, even at Wash U, but that’s no reason not to go on a mini shopping spree to the Galleria to pick up some much-needed beauty products. Lush Cosmetics (handmade and organic!) and Bath and Bodyworks both have some indulgent new products available just in time for V-Day. Whether you’re giving, receiving, or just treating yourself, there’s nothing like a brand-new body scrub to brighten your holiday.
  1. Speaking of V-Day: Wash U’s rendition of The Vagina Monologues will be opening on the big day itself, so if you’re interested in hearing some of Wash U’s most talented (and most daring) women talk about the one thing they all have in common, check out this amazing performance. The Vagina Monologues are performed as part of the V-Day movement for the empowerment of women.

In the end, Valentine’s Day is all about enjoying yourself. It’s about love, and I don’t know about you, but I love to treat myself. Being in a relationship is optional, but not necessary ,for having a great time with these seasonal specials, so go out and have fun with them before St. Patrick’sDay comes along, and all those chocolate-covered strawberries are replaced with pitchers of green beer!

Image courtesy of SolidRecipe.com