4 Books You Won’t Be Able to Put Down This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Ah, that time of the year is finally here. The sweats come out, we trade the iced coffee for warm concoctions, and our tiny dorm rooms suddenly go from cramped to cozy. While Netlfix has its perks on a chilly day, I tend to get sick of staring at a screen by episode eight or nine and long for a good read. Well, collegiates, break out your Kindles or prepare to take a drive to the nearest Barnes and Noble for these 4 page turners you won’t be able to put down. 

1. Luckiest Girl Alive – Jessica Knoll

amazon.com

What starts as a story about a seemingly perfect twenty-something with a posh job and a hot fiance quickly takes a turn for the dark and mysterious. If you like the elite feel of Gossip Girl but want something deeper and more suspenseful than a beach read, Luckiest Girl Alive is the book to sink your teeth into. Rumor has it Reese Witherspoon is set to star in the movie adapatation, so read the book before it hits theaters!

2. The Girl on the Train – Paula Hawkins

goodreads.com

Critics have called it, “the new Gone Girl” and it has sat atop the New York Times best seller list for weeks in a row. When Rachel’s ex husband’s new wife goes missing, she becomes a top suspect and even begins to question herself as the investigation goes on. Read this suspense-filled novel yourself and find out what really happened to the missing wife, and what Rachel had to do with it. 

3. Why Not Me? – Mindy Kaling

ocregister.com

Do you love Kelly from The Office? What about Mindy from The Mindy Project? If you’re a fan of a woman with a sense of humor and a way with story telling, you’ll love Why Not Me, Kaling’s second memoir thus far. When you’re done with Why Not Me, check out Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (and other concerns) for even more laughs. 

4. The Martian – Andy Weir

books.google.com

You know that saying, “How can you tell if someone has read the book about the movie you’re seeing? Don’t worry – they’ll tell you.” BE that girl. Read the book before the movie starring big names like Matt Damon and Kate Mara comes out. About an astronaut who must fend for himself after being abandoned by his crew, The Martian will keep you on the edge of your seat (or your bed) till the very end. 

Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.