This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

10 Ways to Keep Smiling First Semester

The transition from high school to college can be challenging. You’re leaving behind your home, your family, and your friends to begin a new chapter in your life and, frankly, enter adulthood. With this new independence can come some curveballs, but also a ton of incredible experiences. Here’s a list of 10 things you can do to stay cheerful and level-headed through your first semester.

1.  Make a Playlist

You know those songs that instantly put you in a good mood when they come on in the car? Come up with as many of those as you can and compile them into one killer playlist. Whenever you’re feeling discouraged, you can play that baby to your heart’s content. (Trust me, it works.)

giphy.com

2. Sweat it Out

While some of you are probably rolling your eyes at this one, exercising really does enhance your mood and can also be very cathartic. On your worst days, you can climb/jump/jog your problems away. So grab a couple of friends and hit the gym.  Get those endorphins flowing and feel great about yourself.

popsugar.com

3.  Do something for someone else

Sometimes the best way to feel fulfilled is to help someone out.  Whether that means volunteering in your community or even just helping a friend with a problem, try putting someone else’s needs first. You’ll feel purposeful and helpful which, in turn, will boost your self-esteem!

giphy.com

4. Do something for yourself

Every now and then, school throws you a particularly difficult project or exam. Afterwards, treat yourself to something special (ex. a pricy Starbucks drink, a manicure, an extra few hours of sleep, etc.) It gives you something to look forward to and motivates you to work harder!

queereka.com

5. Check out events on campus   

There’s always something going on at WashU. From film screenings to concerts to comedy shows (Bo Burnham is coming!), take advantage of all of the unique and amazing events campus has to offer.

gifsmile.com

6.  But get off campus too

As wonderful as it is here on campus, sometimes you just need to get away—even if it’s only for a few hours. So go exploring off campus with friends. Make time to check out restaurants and stores in some of the surrounding neighborhoods like The Loop and the Central West End.

giphy.com

7. Find a new study nook

Sometimes the library can get boring. Having your own study place is both comforting and a great way to be efficient in your work without getting interrupted. Try a hammock in the swamp, a couch in your common room, a cool coffee shop (Kayak’s is my personal favorite) or a secluded corner of a building.

giphy.com

8.  Find your balance

Partying 24/7 (while definitely fun) is not the healthiest choice. But neither is spending all of your time studying! The key to college is finding a good combination of school, social life, and “you time” so that you feel like you are fulfilling all of the different aspects in your life and not neglecting any. Freshman year is a great time to figure out your own personal balance.

smosh.com

9. Reach out to your relatives/friends from home

Once in a while, reach out to a friend or family member from home.  Give them a call or send them a note to say you’re thinking about them. It’ll make their day and it’ll also brighten yours! (Double whammy)

metro.uk.com

10. Make a memory

Some of the best memories come from spontaneity—so take an expedition with your friends and do something unique, fun and memorable!

mindflayer.com

No matter what your first semester throws at you, just remember that nothing can get you down if you keep a positive spirit. Keep smiling, laughing, and making time for yourself, and you’ll be able to easily take on college (and the world)!

Mari is a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences at Wash U. She hails from Deerfield, IL, but tells everyone she's from Chicago to make it easier. When she's not writing for HC, you can find her going out with friends, exploring St. Louis, and working in the WUTV studio.
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.