Our Top Ten Girls’ Night Movie Picks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

(IF YOU’VE WATCHED THEM, REWATCH! THEY’RE WORTH IT.)PS: This ranking is in no particular order, aside from number 1. 

The Princess Diaries Series (2001 and 2004)Starring: Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews

An ordinary girl finds out she’s actually a princess. COME FREAKING ON. THIS IS THE DREAM. Every girl who has ever wrapped their blanket around them like a gown and worn a fake tiara on their head can relate. This is basically a universal story, the secret dream and ardent hope all little girls harbor came true when this movie was made. Also, it features Anne Hathaway before all that Oscars fame got to her head and we can all agree now that that’s the best Anne Hathaway of all. Also, more dramatic makeovers:

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)Starring: Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt

What exactly does an awesome girly movie need? Meryl Streep? Check. Awesome costume changes including but not restricted to Coat Porn? Check. A grand, dramatic makeover scene? Check. A pre-Oscars, pre-Les Miserables, pre-pretentious Anne Hathaway? Check. (What’s up with Anne Hathaway and makeovers, huh?) Anyway, my point is, this movie is missing nothing. Because it’s awesome and that’s why it’s on our top ten list!

And if you have a problem with that…

Bring It On (2000)Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku and Gabrielle Union

One word: Cheerleaders’ cat fight! Okay that’s three words, I know, we all make mistakes. Anyway, cheerleading, stolen routines, flirting, rival schools, a whole lot of bitchery makes this the perfect fun, girly, guilty-pleasure movie for a cosy girls’ night!

Plus, it’s always fun to see someone defy expectations…

Legally Blonde Series (2001 and 2003)Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Selma Blair, Luke Wilson and Matthew Davis

Speaking of defying expectations, Legally Blonde is all about that. Young, rich, spoilt and very blonde Elle Woods makes an application to Harvard Law School and somehow manages to get in. Initially bright-eyed and enthusiastic, her classmates mock her and regard her as a typical dumb blonde but… as in every girly movie, she gets up and proves them wrong while wearing some very pink and very pretty outfits in the process.

Credits: http://larnezmakesgifs.tumblr.com

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)Starring: Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles and Joseph Gordon-Levitt

This is a completely feel good rom-com until you remember Heath Ledger’s tragic death a few years ago. Well, let us all remember how versatile Heath Ledger was as an actor. When he wasn’t scaring the beejesus out of us as Joker, he was the lovable and extremely hot Patrick Verona with his magnificent head of hair. Also: Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

#Whocanresist #Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Pitch Perfect (2012)Starring: Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow and Skylar Astin

This is for those girls whose girls’ nights have a loooot of singing. This movie lets you belt out all of your favorite jams and throws in a few old school ones to satisfy your pre-millenium music needs. Also, Fat Amy. She’s reason enough.

This clip…

Is also reason enough. I’m telling this movie gets it. WE ALL SING BETTER IN THE BATHROOM.

Sisterhood of The Travelling Pants Series (2005 and 2008)Starring: Blake Lively, America Ferrera, Alexis Bledel and Amber Tamblyn

For those who love a heartwarming tale of friendship between wildly different characters, this series really hits it home. Sure, the second movie wasn’t all that awesome but the first movie alone is enough to push this series onto our list. A tale of love, life, travel and uhm… pants, four girls who couldn’t be more different stand by each other as they go through the trials and tribulations of youth. It’s a sweet coming-of-age film and who can really argue with premise huh? Plus, in the second movie there’s Jesse Williams…

Doing that. Nuff’ said.

Crazy, Stupid Love (2011)Starring: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Steve Carrell and Julianne Moore

I could go on and on about how funny this movie is, how great the cast is, how cute Emma Stone is in it but considering how well received that last gif was… I’m just gonna leave this here…

Credits: http://piketcadisi.tumblr.com

What can I say? I’m lazy.

Clueless (1995)Starring: Alicia Silverstone, Brittany Murphy, Stacey Dash and Paul Rudd

Okay this one is lil’ bit vintage but it’s amazing, especially for girls’ night. Clueless was adapted from a Jane Austen novel Emma. It’s completely taken out of its original Victorian-era context and interpreted into high school in America circa 1990s. Young, rich, pretty girls, cute, dorky boys and a whole bunch of misunderstandings in between. What’s not to like? Also, as someone who’s read the original work and watched Clueless, the original lead character is a lot less annoying in the movie than the book. Furthermore, super adorable 1995 getups are reason enough to serve this on the next girls’ night movie menu.

And the top spot goes to…

Mean Girls (2004)Starring: Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, Lacey Chabert and Tina Fey

We all knew this was coming, didn’t we? You’ll probably egg me if I didn’t include this given that this year marks the tenth year anniversary of arguably the best movie to ever depict a high school girl clique – the beautiful work of art Mean Girls. Aside from that tidbit, this movie is possibly one of the most hilarious high school films ever made and that’s no surprise since it’s scripted by the brilliantly funny Tina Fey as an almost parody of high school popular cliques. It also features Amanda Seyfried before she was an A-lister and Lindsay Lohan before she became a D-lister, funny how life works huh? Aside from all those reasons, Mean Girls educational value alone is enough to make it the top of our list for girls’ night.

For example, it taught us about feminism…

It taught us about race…

It taught us about sex…

And most importantly it taught us about female friendship…

There’s really only one thing to be said about Mean Girls…

Shu Shien is a sophomore at School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda Unviersity.