Losing My Phone for a Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

(https://jlawadvocate.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/o-hand-holding-phone-fa…)

I am the kind of person who always misplaces things. So, this was not my first time losing my phone. Though, it was my first time losing it for an entire day. I was rushing off to school like any other day and so; I pleaded my mother to drive me off to the station. As always, we made a deal, which was to give her a shoulder massage. I agreed. We got to the station and I jumped off saying “Thanks, Mom!” I ran and I made it just in time to get on the train. Finally, I reached into my back pocket to grab my phone. But it was not there. I left it in the car. Suddenly, I felt the immediate panic in my head. I thought about contacting my mother to come back. But then, I realized I needed a phone to do that. How dumb. I can still get off the train. Should I go back? I would be late for school. Is it worth it? After a couple more reflections, I finally came to my senses. This is such a 21st century problem. I can do without a phone for day. And so it began.

To my surprise, losing my phone turned out to be a good experience. As a matter of fact, it taught me three important lessons. First things first, losing my phone made me feel more connected to people. The purpose of a phone is to contact those people who are not physically reachable. But with the technology improving and the obsession over SNS increasing, we’ve become more inclined to communicate over the phone rather than to the actual people who surround us. When I am on the train, I am usually on my phone, texting or checking Instagram. But that day, I just stood there. Then, I saw a friend of mine from my childhood. You may think it was just a coincidence. But I probably would not have seen her if I were on my phone. Moreover, she was not the only unusual encounter that day. I saw more friends who I usually do not have a chance to see at school. It made me wonder if my phone is truly proving its purpose to connect with people. Second, losing my phone made me more concentrated in class. Most classes in Waseda University have the no phone rule, but like most students, I had been guilty of using a phone during class. I do not disrupt the class; as it is always on vibrate. But when I hear that buzzing, I cannot help but check the screen. Then, I would either secretly text under the table or pretend as if I did not see it in an attempt to focus on the lecture. But I would eventually fail and text anyways. I am sure you have been guilty of this at some point in your life. However, without a phone, there is nothing else to do but to focus on what is in front of you. I had no distractions. And so I was focused. Third, losing my phone made me in control of my decisions. These days, I cannot go anywhere without the arrows pointing on Google Map. Living in Tokyo did not teach a single thing about the train system because of the train transfer application. I do not even know what time it is unless I have my phone. So, what does that make me? Tremendously dependent on my phone, which explains that panic I felt the first time I realized I lost it. But believe it or not, I can actually get to places without the help of these wonderful applications. I have always thought that I have no sense of direction, but maybe it was these applications that made me lose it. I can figure things out on my own with a little bit of time. I felt so accomplished to survive without a phone. So, you may as well consider putting your phone away for a day. It might change your perspective.