This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Living in a big city can be a great and wonderful adventure. There are tons of things to do and see, and especially with Tokyo one can literally spend years just exploring backstreets and always find something new and exciting. However, sometimes the city life can leave us exhausted and in need of a little nature. Tokyo is full of beautiful parks and green areas for a quick fix, but those places are generally also full of people and the presence of the city with it’s noise and constant movement is still there. For the ones that need an escape away from the hustle and bustle of the city and just simply enjoy nature for a day, the Musashi-Kyuryo National Government Park, or for short Shinrin Park, in Saitama might just be the place to go.

Located in Saitama prefecture, the park is one of the largest in the Kanto area, spreading out over 304 hectares, or as the official website describes it, 65 Tokyo Domes. There are trails through forest areas for walking and biking, as well as beautiful parks and gardens, lakes, as well as opportunities to do barbecuing and picnics. It is also possible to rent bikes to easily move around the park in a fun and easy manner and there is a 17 km track just for that purpose, with parking close to popular areas and gardens.

As most parks in Japan, the flowers bloom very seasonally and are set up in the park for a spectacular viewing, so keeping an eye on the calendar is recommended for those who wish to combine their day out to the park with a viewing of Lilies, Baby Blue Eyes, Poppies or Tulips, just to name a few. In fall there is an illumination set up for viewing the red maple leafs in the evening, and of course cherry blossoms can also be enjoyed in many areas of the park during the spring.

This park is very family and pet friendly, and for those not willing or able to bike around the park for quick access, there is transportation available inside the park that can accommodate both wheelchairs and baby-strollers. There are many activities especially for children, but when coming to the park during the off-season, adults can enjoy a bit of playground fun as well. 

via Musashi-Kyuryo National Government Park

The park is open year-round (with exception for the New Years holidays and the 3rd and 4th Monday in January) with some varying closing hours, but always opening at 9:30 am. March through October it is open until 5:pm, but closes at 4:30 pm in November and 4:00 pm from December until February.

Access:

The park is located with access from either Shinrinkoen station on the Tobu-Tojo Line, or from Kumagaya station on the Takasaki JR line. From Kumagaya it is around a 30 min bus ride to the park, and from Shinrinkoen station one can either walk for around 35 minutes or take a 12 minute bus to the south exit.

When traveling from Tokyo: The Tobu-Tojo line leaves from Ikebukuro station and it takes around one hour to get from point A to point B, and around 1 hour 30 minutes from most places in Central Tokyo including Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ueno, Tokyo station, and Waseda.

Entrance is 450 yen for adults, and a one year pass is 4.500 yen. Renting a bicycle for the entire day is 520 yen and 410 for 3 hours.

It does cost a little bit of money so, for those on a budget, it might not be the best option on a regular basis. However, for a day-trip it can totally be worth it just to be able to leave Tokyo for a while, relax and enjoy nature in a completely different way than would be possible in central Tokyo.

Check for more information here, including access for cars and any events or seasonal activities.

Photography: Ella Jacobson

Born and raised in Sweden, but calling Japan her home now for the past five years. Ella is a senior student at Waseda University, SILS, majoring in culture and history. Main interests are food, taking way too long walks and hanging out in parks, reading a good book, going on hikes, and looking for the perfect spot to have a swedish 'fika'; a cup of coffe with a friend.