This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Often described as human sardines, Japanese trains are notorious for its hectic morning rush hours. Although my commute is not as bad as the videos posted online, I do have to use the train to get used to being squished inside. Yes, it is quite stressing and exhausts me before my day even starts. Living outside of Tokyo, I spend three hours on the train every day, which totals to 15 hours a week. When I just started university, I did not have the energy to do anything productive during my ride; simply looking at my phone, going through social media. Sometimes, I simply stared into space until hearing the name of the station I get off at. After a while, I decided I was not going to waste 3 hours of my day, and try to make the most out of my time. I have tried quite a few things, but as of now, these are what I do on the train lately!

via Unsplash

1. Read

This may seem like an obvious one, but it is definitely the best. Since I do not want to spend too much time reading business-related or self-help books during my free time, these types of quick readings are the best to spend time on the train. Of course, novels and other types of books will also do the job and be handy to keep inside your bag in case you want to stop by a café during the day.

2. Organize schedule

Five minutes in the morning can make your day way more productive. This is usually done by listing tasks that need to be completed throughout the day. It also helps me to schedule the whole day more efficiently; as a result, I get more things done.

3. Check emails

While I prefer not to use my phone on the train, sometimes it gets so crowed that I don’t have any other option. In such situation, I would check emails so I can reduce the time later in the day.

These little things have made my commuting less stressful and more productive. Other people like to listen to music or podcast, or even study a foreign language. It is not what you do, but to make your commuting more enjoyable and lift your spirit to get you going for the day. Hope this changes how you see your precious time!